Dr. Markham's Radio Show: "Secrets of Happy Parents"
Instead of Medicating and Punishing
Guest: Laurie A. Couture, author of Instead of Medicating and Punishing: Healing the causes of our children’s acting out behavior by parenting and educating the way nature intended
Guest: Laurie A. Couture, author of Instead of Medicating and Punishing: Healing the causes of our children’s acting out behavior by parenting and educating the way nature intended.
Topics covered include:
· How to avoid misbehavior by raising children with their needs in mind
· The connection between attachment parenting and brain development
· When is it appropriate to medicate a child diagnosed with ADHD?
· What are the optimal growing conditions for a child?
· Homeschooling and unschooling theories: when school becomes a negative environment
· Parenting an adopted child who comes from an abusive background
Aha Parenting Moment: Sometimes humans just need to cry.
Listener Question: When toddlers hit their peers.
Secrets of Happy Parents: How NOT to sweat the small stuff.
Guest Bio: Laurie works as a licensed mental health counselor for children and families, as well as a consultant, parenting educator, writer, public speaker and children's rights activist. She is a board member of Parents and Teachers Against Violence in Education and a contributor to Life Learning Magazine, Kindred Magazine, Mothering.com and several other publications and websites. She mentors a disadvantaged teen and has previously worked in the fields of social work and early childhood education. She unschools her 15 year old son, Brycen. Her book was chosen as a finalist in the ForeWord Magazine Book-of- the-Year Awards in 2009.