Dr. Markham's Radio Show: "Secrets of Happy Parents"
Guest: Cassandra Vieten, author of Mindful Motherhood: Practical Tools for Staying Sane in Pregnancy and Your Child's First Year
Cassandra Vieten, Ph.D., author of Mindful Motherhood: Practical Tools for Staying Sane in Pregnancy and Your Child's First Year, discusses with Dr. Laura Markham how parents can use mindfulness to ease pregnancy and stay calm during the early months of their baby’s life. Topics covered include:
- What is mindful motherhood?
- How can mindful motherhood help moms to stay sane during pregnancy?
- How new mothers can practice mindfulness when they have no time.
- The best times to practice mindfulness while engaged with your baby: Nursing, walking the baby, rocking, pumping, etc.
- How mindfulness can help you cope with a crying baby.
- How mindfulness can help you be a better mom & connect with your baby.
- What the scientific research tells us about mindfulness.
- The link between mindfulness and affect regulation.
Aha Parenting Moment: Why kids need your empathic support – but also your high expectations, enforced with respect rather than punishment.
Listener Question: Helping your baby learn to sleep in his own bed.
Guest Blog: What is Mindful Mothering? (click here)
Guest Bio: Cassandra Vieten, Ph.D. is a licensed clinical psychologist, Director of Research at the Institute of Noetic Sciences, an Associate Scientist and Co-Director of the Mind-Body Medicine Research Group at California Pacific Medical Center Research Institute in San Francisco, and Vice President of the Institute for Spirituality and Psychology. Her research over the last twelve years has focused on how biology, psychology, and emotion are involved in addiction and recovery, mindfulness-based approaches to cultivating health and well-being, the role of compassionate intent and belief in healing, and factors, experiences, and practices involved in psychospiritual transformation. She is co-author of the book, Living Deeply: The Art & Science of Transformation in Everyday Life, and author of Mindful Motherhood: Practical Tools for Staying Sane in Pregnancy and Your Child's First Year.