Dr. Markham's Radio Show: "Secrets of Happy Parents"
Love Never Fails
Guest: Heather T. Forbes,author of Dare to Love and Beyond Consequences, Logic, and Control
Guest: Heather T. Forbes, author of Dare to Love and Beyond Consequences, Logic, and Control, discusses with Dr. Laura Markham her love-based approach to helping children with severe behaviors. Topics covered include:
• Why most traditional parenting practices are fear-based, not love-based, and don’t help our kids.
• The difference between what “conditional love” versus “unconditional love” looks like on a “normal” day in a “normal” household?
• How to teach kids emotional self- regulation.
• How to stay connected with your child even when she’s upset – and why you need to.
• What to do when your child is angry and doesn’t want to connect with you.
• What to do when your child is upset and acting out, even hitting or attacking.
• Why you shouldn’t “hold” upset kids to “contain” them?
• Why Consequences & Timeouts disconnect us from our kids and teach the wrong lessons.
• Why parents don’t need to worry so much about correcting “bad” behavior as about the feelings causing the behavior.
• How parents can learn to self-regulate and maintain emotional equilibrium
Aha Parenting Moment: Staying Calm when your child acts out
Listener Question: My 14 month old is hitting, biting and screaming!
Secrets of Happy Parents: How to implement a bedtime routine, & Why routines are great for parents and even better for kids.