Dr. Markham's Radio Show: "Secrets of Happy Parents"
Protecting Your Child From Sex Abuse
Guest: Jill Starishevsky, Assistant DA and author of My Body Belongs To Me
Guest Jill Starishevsky, Assistant DA in New York City who specializes in child abuse cases. She is the author of the children’s book My Body Belongs to Me.
Topics covered include:
· Statistics on sexual abuse of children
· Pre-emptively talking to children about abuse
· Why children don’t want to discuss abuse after it’s happened
· Safety tips to help parents protect kids from predators—both known adults and strangers
· How to role-play “what if” scenarios with children
· Red flags of abusers
Aha Parenting Moment: Why listening to your children is important—no matter how busy you are.
Listener Question: What to do when a baby hits mom?
Secrets of Happy Parents: Talking about money with children.
Guest Bio: Jill Starishevsky, an Assistant District Attorney in New York City and a mother of two, specializes in child abuse cases. Her mission is to protect children, along with her penchant for poetry, inspired My Body Belongs to Me, a book to teach children that if someone touches them inappropriately, they should tell a parent or teacher right away.