Recommended Gifts - Preschoolers
Max - A Cooperative Game
Players work together to get the creatures safely home before Max the cat gets them, and children learn to use logic, consultation and cooperative decision making in an exciting way. For 1 to 8 players ages 4 through 7 years. Made in Canada using recycled boards and papers, soy-based inks, water based glues and safe paints.
Every toddler and preschooler needs a doctor kit. Why? Because all children have medical appointments during which their body is touched, poked, prodded and sometimes hurt by doctors and nurses. We know this is to help our child stay healthy, but it often doesn't feel good to children. Playing with a doctor kit allows the child to "work through" those feelings and overcome any related fears. It also helps us as parents prepare our child for doctor appointments.
(Note: The Melissa and Doug kit does not have a blood pressure cuff. It does have a white lab coat. I used to recommend the Fisher-Price Doctor Kit but it has been on lists of toys with high toxin levels, so I have removed it from my website.)
Inside Trampoline - Bazoongi Bouncer
Does your child jump on the couch? All kids need to jump. Kids with sensory issues especially need to jump. At 48", this trampoline will fit into any living room to give children a safe place to jump. I like this trampoline because it is has six legs instead of four, which makes it sturdier and safer. The springs are covered by a oversize pad to keep little feet safe. Of course, parental supervision is still essential.
- 3.5" Galvanized Springs (30)
- Rust Resistant Galvanized Steel Frame
- Handle Adjust Easily to Two Different Sizes
- Maximum weight capacity: 100 lbs
Dollhouses are terrific for imaginative play. They're wonderful to help kids play out the emotions related to family issues ("Whoops....the pterodactyl just carried off the baby...too bad") and parents can even use them to initiate that kind of play. And many kids simply love them. (See also: Jupiter Workshop Modern Wood Dollhouse with Furniture below).
The Kidcraft Dollhouse:
- Includes 19 pieces of furniture.
- Two molded plastic staircases allow kids to continue the action on different floors.
- Three levels of open space, Windows and doors that open and close
- Solidly made, a great value for the money.
Melissa & Doug Cutting Food Box
This is one of my favorite toys for toddlers and preschoolers. They cook, play house and restaurant, serve each other food, and pack bundles of food to run away to the forest. Cutting the food is so satisfying.
This set contains eight pieces of wooden food, a cutting board and a wooden knife. Food makes a fun â€œCRUNCHâ€ sound when sliced. With 25 pieces, itâ€™s also a great way to introduce the concepts of part, whole and fractions. Comes in wooden box with slide-on lid.
Age recommendation: Some 18 month olds are ready for this kit, some aren't. It will depend on whether they're likely to put small pieces in their mouths. Older toddlers will love it, as will preschoolers.
Medieval Castle Cardboard Playhouse
Kids love playhouses and they are great to have indoors. You can make one yourself from cardboard, of course. But sometimes it's worth it just to set up a pre-made playhouse and start them playing. I love that these come ready for kids to draw on and decorate. Even if you reinforce with duct tape (often a good idea, especially for a birthday party or rambunctious three year olds), you can cut the duct tape when you're done, fold it up, and store it. Pull it out again in a couple of months for another round of imaginative play. Rocket ship? (see Shuttle Imagination below) Adventure castle? They're all fun, and can easily metamorphose into teepees, forts, or simply a game of house. 100% recycled materials.
Air Hover Soccer Ball
Kids need to move. When your child has too much energy, or can't pry himself away from a screen, how about a game of soccer or hockey? It doesn't matter that the rain is pouring down. This power disc works anywhere.
The hover soccer can float on a cushion of air produced by a powerful fan and built-in rotary motor, which makes this toy easy to glide over any smooth surface. You can use it on your home floor, flat ground and low-pile carpet, etc., and turn any floor into an air hockey/soccer field.
Anti-Nausea Seaband for Children
Does your child cry in the carseat? Maybe she's car sick! Many moms swear by the Seaband, a great remedy for carsickness.
Advantages of Anti-Nausea Seaband for Children include:
- Drug-free, so there are no side effects
- Can be used in cars, on planes, on boats, on Ferris wheels (anywhere!)
- Comes in a variety of colors
- Safe for ages 3+
Blocks: 60-Piece Standard Unit
Every toddler and preschooler should have at least one wooden block set in their toy collection. (My kids used them until middle school.) The Melissa & Doug Standard Unit Blocks include 60 precision-cut, standard-shaped, solid wooden blocks that will engage your child's imagination in open-ended play for hours. Designed for ages three and up, these blocks feature smooth, rounded edges and are housed in a convenient, sturdy wooden storage crate.
- 60-piece standard unit block set allows children to build towers and towns
- Stimulates creativity and hones basic motor skills
- Features natural look; pieces are easy for little fingers to grasp
- Excellent tool for teaching math concepts, organizational skills, sequential skills, and spatial relations
Your little architect will love building bridges, towers, farms for her animals and endless other projects. In these days of electronic toys, it's important not to forget the fundamentals of childhood development. Wooden blocks offer children endless ways to exercise their imagination as they improve their hand-eye coordination and gross motor skills. They also help children establish important relationships between the "part" and the "whole," and the help to provide basic lessons in math, engineering and gravity.
Breathe Like a Bear
Breathe Like a Bear is a beautifully illustrated collection of mindfulness exercises designed to teach kids techniques for managing their bodies, breath, and emotions. Best of all, these 30 simple, short breathing practices and movements can be performed anytime, anywhere: in the car to the grocery store, during heavy homework nights at home, or even at a childâ€™s desk at school.
- Helps kids find calm, gain focus, and feel energized during the day, and encourage families to establish a fun and consistent mindfulness practice, whether at home or on the go.
Does your child chew on his collar or sleeve when he gets anxious or excited? The solution is Chewelry! This necklace is great for boys or girls, and there are lots of designs.
- Made from FDA approved food grade silicone
- Phthalate, BPA, PVC, Latex and Lead free
- 18" Safety Lanyard with instruction for cutting to size
Child-Sized Table and Chairs
Every child needs a child-sized table and chairs for drawing, building and working on projects. If you keep it in or near the kitchen, your child can be near you but happily absorbed in his own "work." Toddlers and preschoolers also prefer eating at child-sized tables instead of on booster seats or in high chairs, so if your child is eating without you, a child-sized table is usually a better option. This kind of table is also great if your child has a bedtime snack while you read their bedtime story. When my son was small, we had one in his bedroom and one near the kitchen, and used them both daily.
As Maria Montessori first told us, children love to clean, when they have child-sized tools they can handle. Great way for your toddler or preschooler to "work" alongside you as you do housekeeping, and a natural way for children to transition to real participation in the household.
- 6-piece cleaning set for hours of pretend play housekeeping
- Includes broom, mop, duster, dust pan, brush, and storage stand
- All pieces durably made and sized for kids
- Dust pan snaps onto all handles
- Sturdy wooden construction
Wooden Rainbow Stacking Toy
These gorgeous blocks lend themselves to creative play, whether your child is driving trucks under a tunnel, building a fort for his animals, or looking for gold at the end of the rainbow. Highest quality, long-lasting and guaranteed to be used for your child's entire childhood.
- Beautiful wooden stacking rainbow includes 12 pieces
- Stack one on top of another; push them out into a tunnel; turn one upside down for a see-saw for dolls
- Non-toxic water-based paint rainbow blocks toy are safe for children to play with
- The Montessori toys consist of 12 different colored and size arcs, together measure 14"length x 7.08"wide x 2.75"thick, which are suitable for little
hands to grab
Gears! Gears! Gears! Super Building Set
Hanging Swing Chair by Harkla
All kids love cozy places. Kids with sensory issues are often calmed most easily when those cozy places swing. All kids will want this hanging chair in their room and find it soothing, but it is especially great for sensory seeking children.
"Swinging helps create a calm, relaxed sense of well-being, along with building a sense of balance and body control."
- Comes with ceiling hooks, carabiner, and air pump
- Safe up to 150 pounds.
- 100% lifetime money-back guarantee
Sensory strong! This mixture of sand and a small amount of silicone makes the perfect sand for children to play with inside. Moldable without water, not messy. Clean and non-toxic.
- The one and only Kinetic Sand now with beach sand: is like magic sand that sticks to itself and not to you! It oozes, moves and melts right before your eyes. It flows through your fingers like a slow-moving liquid, but leaves them completely dry
- Endless educational creative fun: stimulate children's imagination and enhance their manipulative ability. Soft, easy to shape or sculpt that impressively holds its shape and incredible detail. Since it never dries out or hardens, you can build again and again
- Non-toxic: made with a special formula of beach sand and Polymers, this addictive sensory sand is hypoallergenic, and non-toxic making it a perfect gift for indoor or outdoor play for kids aged 3+
- Includes: 3lb Kinetic Sand Beach Sand
One of my favorite toys for preschoolers, Magna Tiles are great for open-ended imaginative play, while also laying the foundation for math skills!
- Blocks easily connect
- Inspires creativity and brain development
- Teaches patterning, shape recognition, building and motor skills
Very calming for kids from toddlers to teens. (Works for frenzied adults, too!) If you sit with your child to watch this the first few times, and hand
it to your child when she's over-excited, you'll find that she gravitates to it when she wants to calm herself down. Mesmerizing And Meditative.
Parent and Child Puppet Set
Puppets are invaluable to act out scenarios with children, from planned separations to potty training. Every home needs a "parent and child" puppet set to facilitate these "stories" and these dolphins are plush, adorable, and non-gendered.
- 13" soft plush toy made with high-quality materials
Peaceable Kingdom Hoot Owl Hoot!
Hurry Owls! It's time to go home! In this game, players help the owls fly back to their nest before the sun comes up. Two levels of play allow this game to grow with your child. Game includes 1 game board, 6 owl tokens, 1 sun token, 14 sun cards, 36 color cards and instructions for two versions of game play. Cooperative games emphasize play, not competition. Kids work together, they help each other and, most importantly, they play for FUN! For 2 to 4 players ages 3 years and older.
Children will learn:
- Simple Strategy
- Problem Solving
- Following Directions
- Taking Turns
- Social Development
- Cooperation and Teamwork
Pit Balls in Reusable and Durable Storage Bag
These balls will keep kids busy for hours. Just dump them in a kiddie pool or playpen to create your own ball pit.
- 200 "Phthalate Free" pit balls
- Provide safety and comfort for children in play tent houses or ball pits
- All balls are crush-proof, non-PVC plastic, and phthalate free.
- Safe, non-toxic, and easy to clean.
Sensory Play Table
All kids need sensory play! And if you have a child who craves tactile experience -- Are you constantly trying to stop her from touching everything? -- she NEEDS a way to get her hands into textures. Solution: A play table to keep messy play contained.
Note: This table has a space for both sand and water, which allows kids to mix them. I love that, because it makes the sand the right texture to build castles. For cleanup, just drain the water, let the sand dry, and put the sand back into its own side. You can also put sand on both sides, water on both sides, or introduce other sensory objects like shaving cream, small animals, ice, pasta or beans.
Here's a great link from "Play-At-Home-Mom" with lots of ideas for using sensory tables:
Sit 'n Spin
Do you have a vestibular sensory-seeker? If your child loves to spin, this wheel is a great safe way to give your child that spinning input he craves, while building core muscular strength and stability.
- Sit 'n Spin toy creates hours of spinning and twirling fun for your child
- Toy can spin fast or slow
Sensory Bed Sheet for Kids
If you have a sensory seeking, restless child who has a hard time self-soothing to sleep, this may change your life. Weighted blankets can be terrific to calm kids who need that extra security, but they sometimes have a way of sliding off a restless child. This wrap slips over the mattress like a pillow case, so it can't come off.
- A smart alternative to restrictive weighted blankets, these sensory sheets help keep you cool and comfortable all throughout the night
- Offers firm, relaxing support for children of all ages.
- Offers deep touch pressure these compression sheets for kids let you increase or decrease compression as your children grow.
Spill Proof Paint Cups
Kids love to paint, and like all art, it's therapeutic. These cups make painting very easy on the parents. The screw on lid will not accidentally come off, so spills are eliminated. And because the seal is airtight, the paint can be left in the cups without drying out! That means you can buy paint in cheaper large bottles, pour smaller amounts into the cups, and eliminate the chore of washing the cups in between. You can just leave the easel set up, with a splash mat under it, and painting becomes no big deal. Set of four, with colored lids (red, green, yellow, blue).
Every child needs an easel. This one is well-built, with great features:
- Folds easily to store in the corner or under a bed
- Locking paper roll holder and child-safe paper cutter to easily roll new paper
- Double sided chalk and dry erase-boards
- Washable plastic trays
- Height adjustable
SwaddleMe Mommie's Melodies Soother
Easily soothe your little one to sleep with Mommies Melodies.
- Plays 6 songs to relax baby to sleep
- Features a "Cry Activated" mode that turns on music when baby wakes up
- 20 minute auto shutoff with cry activation
- Able to hang on the crib rail to ease baby
- Electronic module removes easily to wash plush
Every child needs a padded Tumbling Mat. It can be unfolded to allow rambunctious play inside. It fosters motor skills. It keeps kids busy in physical play, so they sleep better. Babies can use it to learn to crawl and walk, toddlers, preschoolers and older to roughhouse and practice tumbling and gymnastics.
This giant, colorful tumbling mat is safe for indoor or outdoor exercise and play. Open, it measures 4' x 6'. Durable and easy to clean surface.
Blooming Mini Posable Fairies
- Each posable doll fits into pockets or purses for fun on the run.
- Set includes 4 Mini Fairies: Bluebell, Buttercup, Poppy, and Rose
- Fairies have wool-wrapped flexible and posable bodies for imaginative play scenarios
- Each fairy has iridescent, light-catching wing
Wooden Shape Sorting Clock
Another terrific Melissa & Doug toy! This toy will grow with your child, beginning with fitting the shapes, proceeding to learning numbers, and eventually to understanding how to tell time.
- Wood Clock
- Colorful shaped numbers
- Learn to tell time
Kids Audiobook Player & 5 Cards My First Classic Stories Collection
Help your little one listen to audio books while you're busy with their sibling. Builds imagination, autonomy, and love of books, and you never have to worry about screen-intake.
- Choose from 100+ world-class, content cards from a curated selection of bestselling audiobooks, music and singalongs, educational activities, free childrenâ€™s podcasts, radio and more
- You can also record personalized audio cards for fun playback. Read to your child from anywhere by recording their favorite books in your own voice,
sing a favorite song together, or even send special messages your child can play anytime they need to hear your voice.
- Comes with Heidi, The Wind and The Willows, The Secret Garden, Peter Pan, and The Snow Queen
This sensory sock is the perfect place for your preschooler to relax and get the sensory feedback they need. This unique dynamic movement sensory sock will help to improve self-calming, balance, increased body and spatial awareness, and heightens movement creativity.
Crawling and tunnel play are excellent for muscle and motor skill development in toddlers and children. Tunnels lead to hours of fun and physical play! This tunnel collapses flat for easy storage and portability.
Stomp Rocket Dueling Rockets
This special Stomp Rocket with Dueling Base lets 2 kids (or a grownup and child!) launch air rockets at the same time, so you can see whose goes higher! Better yet, estimate how high each one went and add them together, for a score that's higher when you work together! Great for year round fun to get kids away from screen time, play with outdoor toys, and move their bodies.
Weighted Lap Pad
This 2lb Lap Pad helps your kids stay calm and less anxious.
- Compact size makes it easy to carry with kids to many off-site locations and school
- Helps kids stay focused in class
- Used on lap or on the shoulders for a gentle hug, help kids feel secure, grounded, and safe
- Weighted lap pads have been proven useful as a calming tool for individuals with sensory issues
Outdoor Toddler Scavenger Hunt Cooperative Card Game at The Park
A perfect first game for little ones! Toddler Scavenger Hunt Cards contain 20 double-sided sturdy cards that provide simple, satisfying questions and prompts to guide your toddler. Playing with the cards builds vocabulary and increases confidence and encourages toddlers to explore the world around them.
- Tap into your childâ€™s natural curiosity about the world around them by exploring it together with this game! Playing with the Toddler Scavenger Hunt cards will increase your toddlerâ€™s observational skills and expand their learning. A cooperative game that both you and your child can enjoy together.
The Floor is Lava - Interactive Game for Kids and Adults
The Floor is Lava! is a game where players must imagine the floor is molten hot lava while spinning the color wheel to jump to the right foam pieces to reach safety. The Floor is Lava! is a family game that promotes physical activity, an active imagination, and engaging excitement for kids and adults. Perfect family activity for moving your body inside or out!
- This game gets children jumping, leaping, playing, and improving their strength, conditioning, balance, and endurance!
- Each of these cushioned, durable, slip-resistant foam stepping stones can be used during outdoor parties or indoor sleepovers.
Grateful Together: A Gratitude Journal for Kids and Their Parents
It isnâ€™t always easy for kids and parents to talk. This shared, back-and-forth journal inspires communication and gratitude, doing surprising and wonderful things to strengthen the bond between any child and their caregiver.
- Thereâ€™s a huge range of activities and prompts that donâ€™t repeat, so each entry reveals something different.
Our Sharing Journal: Journal Notebook for Kids and Parents
In a little as 5 minutes a day, both parents and kids can enjoy this simple and fun journal. This journal is sure to get you and your kids laughing, doodling (every page has space for drawing) and connecting like never before.
Preschoolers are free to express their creativity, with squishy, squashy Playfoam that never dries out! Just squish up the Playfoam, shape it however you like, then squash it back down and start all over again.
- Non-Toxic, safe and fun sensory play
Bluetooth Shower Speaker
If you have a teen who listens constantly to music, giving them this iFox iF012 Bluetooth Shower Speaker will earn you coolest parent status. Wireless and Certified Waterproof, it pairs easily to all your bluetooth devices, so your teen can stream their music from their phone and listen while they're in the shower. Given how much time some teens spend in the bathroom, that's a big plus.
- Fully Submersible and 100% Waterproof (IP67 certified)
- Excellent, loud HD sound with an impressive 5 watts of power
- Connects to all Bluetooth Devices in less that 6 seconds
- Up to 10hrs playing time before recharging
- Dedicated suction cup included (detachable) & Carabiner Hook
- Built-in-Mic for hands free calls
- 33ft wide Bluetooth range
- Pairs easily to any bluetooth devices such as phones, tablets, computer, radio
Monkey Noodle Stretchy String Fidget
Stretch, pull, twirl, wrap and squeeze the Monkey Noodles - then watch them bounce back to their original shape! They're perfect for sensory and tactile stimulation.
Balance Stepping Stones
10 Soft and Durable Stones that encourage early learning and physical activity.
- Develop balancing skills while jumping from stone to stone, playing play hot lava or crocodiles in the water.
- Create a new obstacle playground everyday
- Can be used indoors or out!
- 2019 TOY OF THE YEAR AWARD for excellence by Creative Child Magazine
- May slip on some floors - consider adding grips to bottom if you find them too slippery.
Magic Doodle Mat
This extra large water drawing doodling mat encourages hours of creative expression!
- Fill the magic pen with clean water and draw on the magic drawing mat. After 3-10 minutes, it magically disappears, and kid can doodle on it over and over again.
Indoor Scooter Board
Work on balance and coordination while having fun with this scooter board for kids! Children will have fun building motor skills inside and out. Safe to use inside on a rainy day or outside on pavement.
Sensory Stepping Balance Buckets
This Stepping Balance Buckets Set includes 6 buckets for kids to play alone or together. Inspiring children to jump, stretch and balance for full-body
exercise, this set promotes gross motor skills, balance and coordination through physical activity. It also encourages important social skills when
playing with others.
- Each oversized bucket provides ample room for stepping.
- Can create a complex obstacle course for loads of fun.
Crocodile Hop Floor Game
This floor game can be used for individuals or as a group to get their bodies moving, build skills and have fun!
- Reinforces a range of early learning skills: color and shape recognition, numbers and counting (1-10), problem solving and gross motor skills
- Helps children practice following simple directions
Indoor Swing & Ring Combo
This swing and ring combo generates tons of indoor fun for kids! Snow, rain or shine - Be active all the time!
- Attaches in your doorway
- Includes trapeze bar & gymnastic rings combo and rope swing.
NinjaLine Intro Kit
Encourage your kids to be physically active while having a great time!
- Ninja Training with seven obstacles including: a three piece 10" x 2.5" nylon rope knows, two piece 16" monkey bar holds with triangle safety carabiners, and two gymnastics rings with textured finish
- Hang Slackline webbing between two posts or healthy trees
This sensory swing can be installed indoors or outdoors for use with children or adults. This swing is awesome for sensory seeking children or adults, can accommodate a wide range of body shapes and sizes, and helps with balance & motor skills. Gives kids of all ages a safe place to self regulate. Easy to install with a drill and a stud/joist finder.
- Swinging is a way to help with brain development, bring calm and peace or just to entertain.
- Stretchy & comfortable, this snuggles kids with a deep, enjoyable pressure.
- Easy to get in & out of.
- Works for preschoolers through teens, up to 200 pounds.
LCD Writing Tablet
Encourage endless creativity in your kids with this writing and drawing pad! Erase and start again or lock the screen so there's no accidental deletion. A great way to be creative without wasting paper!
Kids' Toy Storage Organizer
An organized play area makes it easier for kids to choose which toys to play with and can lead to a more peaceful family dynamic! This toy storage can make organizing your child's toys easy to do and easy for them to see and choose the toy they want to play with.
- Removable toy storage bins for playtime and easy clean up
- Easy to assemble toy organizer