Recommended Gifts - School Age
Looking for gift ideas for a different age?
Air Hover Soccer Ball
Kids need to move. When your child has too much energy, or can't pry himself away from a screen, how about a game of soccer or hockey? It doesn't matter that the rain is pouring down. This power disc works anywhere.
The hover soccer can float on a cushion of air produced by a powerful fan and built-in rotary motor, which makes this toy easy to glide over any smooth surface. You can use it on your home floor, flat ground and low-pile carpet, etc., and turn any floor into an air hockey/soccer field.
Fort Building Kit
All kids love to build forts using blankets in the living room, but often kids get frustrated because their imagination so exceeds their available building materials, and the forts just collapse. Fort Building Kit to the rescue!
- All-in-One Fort Kit: With 28 geometric balls and 49 reinforced sticks, our 77-piece kit allows you to build forts of all shapes and sizes! Just add a bedsheet and create a cozy hideaway.
- Spark Creativity: Whether they’re designing a house, a castle or a rocket ship, our fort kit encourages kids to develop their imaginative and problem-solving skills! Great for both boys and girls, the collaborative element teaches teamwork as well as cooperation.
- Fun for All Ages: Designed for children aged 5 and up, our fort pieces are intuitive and easy to use! They connect in a matter of seconds and disassemble just as effortlessly. And since the pieces are conveniently portable, kids can use them virtually everywhere.
- Designed for Durability: Made with solid, premium plastic, we’ve developed durable building pieces that parents can trust! Safe for indoor as well as outdoor use, the pieces will remain securely connected, so you don’t have to worry about structures collapsing.
Bugzzle gives 3 to 7 year olds practice in spatial reasoning and critical thinking as they use18 semicircular plastic puzzle pieces to match the increasingly challenging puzzle patterns on 40 cards. A fun, peaceful brain-builder, this STEM toy is an enjoyable way to help your child "intuitively" understand fractions.
Spark Family Game: The Magic of Storytelling
THE SOCIAL STORYTELLING GAME: A wonderful family night game that will have everyone talking and laughing together. Simple enough for kids as young as five but teens love it too. Even experienced storytellers will find an exciting challenge. A round can be played in as little as 3 minutes, but there are enough cards and music to support hours of play -- which is good, because no one will want to stop. Imaginative play supports social and emotional development, builds social confidence and communication skills. This is a game that lets the imagination run wild bond. With a few cards and the right music, your family will have wonderful bonding adventures - right from the living room. The stories you tell together will become family favorites.
Mindfulness Matters: The game that uses mindfulness skills to improve coping in everyday life
Fun card game that teaches kids 9-18 mindfulness daily life skills and strategies to reduce stress, anger, and worry, and enhance focus and social skills.
- Mindfulness Matters is the original mindfulness card game, developed by a therapist.
- Mindfulness strategies are useful for combating stress, anger, worry and increasing focus.
- Teaches and engages children and teens in critical mindfulness skills. Players learn different mindfulness techniques and how to apply them in their everyday lives.
- Fun cooperative game play helps to enhance social skills. Ages 9-18. For 2-4 players.
Very calming for kids from toddlers to teens. (Works for frenzied adults, too!) If you sit with your child to watch this the first few times, and hand it to your child when she's over-excited, you'll find that she gravitates to it when she wants to calm herself down.
This sensory swing can be installed indoors or outdoors for use with children or adults. This swing is awesome for sensory seeking children or adults, can accommodate a wide range of body shapes and sizes, and helps with balance & motor skills. Gives kids of all ages a safe place to self regulate. Easy to install with a drill and a stud/joist finder.
- Swinging is a way to help with brain development, bring calm and peace or just to entertain.
- Stretchy & comfortable, this snuggles kids with a deep, enjoyable pressure.
- Easy to get in & out of.
- Works for preschoolers through teens, up to 200 pounds.
Max - A Cooperative Game
Players work together to get the creatures safely home before Max the cat gets them, and children learn to use logic, consultation and cooperative decision making in an exciting way. For 1 to 8 players ages 4 through 7 years. Made in Canada using recycled boards and papers, soy-based inks, water based glues and safe paints.
Rush Hour Traffic Jam Logic Game
In this single-player game, the child moves cars along a grid to rescue a vehicle in trouble. Develops the prefrontal cortex -- the executive function -- by teaching the child to plan and use logic to problem-solve. A refreshing, addictive alternative to screens, the Rush Hour Traffic Jam Logic Game and STEM Toy for Boys and Girls has won over 20 Awards, and been an International Bestseller for Over 20 Years.
Dollhouses are terrific for imaginative play. They're wonderful to help kids play out the emotions related to family issues ("Whoops....the pterodactyl just carried off the baby...too bad") and parents can even use them to initiate that kind of play. And many kids simply love them. (See also: Jupiter Workshop Modern Wood Dollhouse with Furniture below).
The Kidcraft Dollhouse:
- Includes 19 pieces of furniture.
- Two molded plastic staircases allow kids to continue the action on different floors.
- Three levels of open space, Windows and doors that open and close
- Solidly made, a great value for the money.
Anti-Nausea Seaband for Children
Does your child cry in the carseat? Maybe she's car sick! Many moms swear by the Seaband, a great remedy for carsickness.
Advantages of Anti-Nausea Seaband for Children include:
- Drug-free, so there are no side effects
- Can be used in cars, on planes, on boats, on Ferris wheels (anywhere!)
- Comes in a variety of colors
- Safe for ages 3+
Blooming Mini Posable Fairies
- Each posable doll fits into pockets or purses for fun on the run.
- Set includes 4 Mini Fairies: Bluebell, Buttercup, Poppy, and Rose
- Fairies have wool-wrapped flexible and posable bodies for imaginative play scenarios
- Each fairy has iridescent, light-catching wing
Breathe Like a Bear
Breathe Like a Bear is a beautifully illustrated collection of mindfulness exercises designed to teach kids techniques for managing their bodies, breath, and emotions. Best of all, these 30 simple, short breathing practices and movements can be performed anytime, anywhere: in the car to the grocery store, during heavy homework nights at home, or even at a child’s desk at school.
- Helps kids find calm, gain focus, and feel energized during the day, and encourage families to establish a fun and consistent mindfulness practice, whether at home or on the go.
Chew Stixx Pencil Toppers
I still remember my teacher saying to me "It looks like you have a puppy in your desk!" If you have a child who chews on her pencils, she needs these chewable pencil toppers.
- Defeats destructive oral grinding
- Lessens anxiety
- Improves attention spans
- Bacteria free when used properly
- Excellent for use in therapy or school
Does your child chew on his collar or sleeve when he gets anxious or excited? The solution is Chewelry! This necklace is great for boys or girls, and there are lots of designs.
- Made from FDA approved food grade silicone
- Phthalate, BPA, PVC, Latex and Lead free
- 18" Safety Lanyard with instruction for cutting to size
Encourage your child to get creative with this truly unique pillowcase/pen set. Kids will love these doodle pillowcases, which come in a variety of designs to spark their imagination and creativity. When they are ready for a new look, simply machine wash and dry the pillowcase and start all over again.
- 100% Turkish cotton pillowcase complete with a set of 10 doodle color wash out pens
- ink washes out completely on a warm machine wash
- set contains 1 pillowcase approx 75x50cm and 1 set of 10 double-ended wash-out fabric pens
Family Fun Night Project - Make Together Family Bowl
Gather the family and make something you'll cherish forever.
- Great family time craft. Not only are you making a beautiful decorative bowl, you're making time for each other and sweet memories in the process
- Kit includes: prompts, paper circles, water-based glue, a bowl form, and easy-to-follow instructions
Fraction Rainbow Tiles
The best tool for kids to introduce fractions and make the concepts easy. 51-piece set includes color-coded, soft foam, magnetic tiles to depict wholes, halves, thirds, fourths, fifths, sixths, eighths, tenths, and twelfths.
- These magnetic fraction strips make learning fractions is easier with visual, hands-on magnetic aids
- This magnetic fraction set will Introduce fraction concepts, parts to whole, equivalents, and comparisons
- Magnetic fraction bars can be used at home or in the classroom and are easy to wipe clean
- 51-piece set includes color-coded, soft foam, magnetic tiles to depict wholes, halves, thirds, fourths, fifths, sixths, eighths, tenths, and twelfths
Funny Nose Pencil Sharpener
A fun and functional gift for gradeschoolers up through early teens, this silly sharpener makes a great stocking stuffer!
Gears! Gears! Gears! Super Building Set
Glow In The Dark Wonder Stars
If you had stars on your ceiling as a child, you'll know how terrific these are. If you didn't, wait until you lie with your child in her dark room looking at her glowing ceiling! Relaxing as kids fall asleep. Even teenagers love them.
These stars have a Lifetime glow guaranteed by the manufacturer. 50 "glow in the dark" plastic stars of varying sizes, with adhesive. Made by Great Explorations.
Grateful Together: A Gratitude Journal for Kids and Their Parents
It isn’t always easy for kids and parents to talk. This shared, back-and-forth journal inspires communication and gratitude, doing surprising and wonderful things to strengthen the bond between any child and their caregiver.
- There’s a huge range of activities and prompts that don’t repeat, so each entry reveals something different.
Hanging Swing Chair by Harkla
All kids love cozy places. Kids with sensory issues are often calmed most easily when those cozy places swing. All kids will want this hanging chair in their room and find it soothing, but it is especially great for sensory seeking children.
"Swinging helps create a calm, relaxed sense of well-being, along with building a sense of balance and body control."
- Comes with ceiling hooks, carabiner, and air pump
- Safe up to 150 pounds.
- 100% lifetime money-back guarantee
Indigo Dreams: Relaxation and Stress Management Bedtime Stories for Children
Wonderful, soothing relaxation cd for kids. The stories create beautiful and relaxing images and messages. Highly recommended for bedtime or anytime your child needs a little help to manage stress and anxiety. Produced by Lori Lite.
Indoor Scooter Board
Work on balance and coordination while having fun with this scooter board for kids! Children will have fun building motor skills inside and out. Safe to use inside on a rainy day or outside on pavement.
Indoor Swing & Ring Combo
This swing and ring combo generates tons of indoor fun for kids! Snow, rain or shine - Be active all the time!
- Attaches in your doorway
- Includes trapeze bar & gymnastic rings combo and rope swing.
Jewelry Making Kit
- Create your own jewelry: The jewelry making kit contains jewelry making tools, jewelry making charms, jewelry making findings, jewelry making beads. Includes all jewelry finding and tools that you need for jewelry, necklace, bracelet, earring making and repair.
- Spark creativity: this kit will spark your child's imagination & creativity while promoting the development of fien motor skills.
- Huge variety of beads
Kidoozie Foam Pogo Jumper
Jumping fun for everyone. Made from soft, durable foam is great for indoor and outdoor play and squeaks with every hop. The bungee stretches to accommodate children of all heights and can support up to 250 pounds. Kids and adults alike will have a hopping good time on the Hop & Squeak Pogo Jumper. For ages 3 years and up.
- Comfort grip handles
- Great for indoor and outdoor play
- Fun for adults too
Kids Audiobook Player & 5 Cards My First Classic Stories Collection
Let your child listen to audio content they want, whenever they want without being concerned about screen time!
- Choose from 100+ world-class, content cards from a curated selection of bestselling audiobooks, music and singalongs, educational activities, free children’s podcasts, radio and more
- You can also record personalized audio cards for fun playback. Read to your child from anywhere by recording their favorite books in your own voice,
sing a favorite song together, or even send special messages your child can play anytime they need to hear your voice.
- Comes with Heidi, The Wind and The Willows, The Secret Garden, Peter Pan, and The Snow Queen
LCD Writing Tablet
Encourage endless creativity in your kids with this writing and drawing pad! Erase and start again or lock the screen so there's no accidental deletion. A great way to be creative without wasting paper!
Love, Dad and Me: A Father and Daughter Keepsake Journal
This engaging prompt journal is the perfect tool to build father-daughter relationships. Kids can record memories, swap stories, compare perspectives, and explore common and unique interests with their dads! Interactive lists and letters back and forth invite both dad and daughter to reflect, write, and doodle about topics timely to their lives as kids, build self-confidence, and improve their penmanship.
Magic Doodle Mat
This extra large water drawing doodling mat encourages hours of creative expression!
- Fill the magic pen with clean water and draw on the magic drawing mat. After 3-10 minutes, it magically disappears, and kid can doodle on it over and over again.
Monkey Noodle Stretchy String Fidget
Stretch, pull, twirl, wrap and squeeze the Monkey Noodles - then watch them bounce back to their original shape! They're perfect for sensory and tactile stimulation.
NinjaLine Intro Kit
Encourage your kids to be physically active while having a great time!
- Ninja Training with seven obstacles including: a three piece 10" x 2.5" nylon rope knows, two piece 16" monkey bar holds with triangle safety carabiners, and two gymnastics rings with textured finish
- Hang Slackline webbing between two posts or healthy trees
Our Sharing Journal: Journal Notebook for Kids and Parents
In a little as 5 minutes a day, both parents and kids can enjoy this simple and fun journal. This journal is sure to get you and your kids laughing, doodling (every page has space for drawing) and connecting like never before.
Paint & Plant Pizza Herb Growing Kit
Do you have a sunny window? Your window and this kit will give your child everything they need to have an experience every child deserves -- growing plants from seeds. Your child will have the added joy of using these plants in their pizza or other food, as well as decorating the container the plants grow in.
- Grow 3 plants from seed - Basil, Oregano and Arugula
- Express creativity on the planter and plant markers
Peaceable Kingdom Fish Stix - The Game Where Every Fish Counts
In this game players match the fish, row by row - the more you match, the faster you go! Fish Stix is a visual strategy game that takes minutes to learn and is a different game every time you play. Each player starts the game with a score sheet from the score pad, a pen or pencil and 3 fish sticks. Take turns matching fish sticks and counting fish - the board grows as the game goes! The game can be played with or without strategy making it easier for different ages to play together! For 2 to 4 players ages 6 to 12 years.
Peaceable Kingdom Race to the Treasure
In this game players try to beat the Ogre to the treasure by creating a path from start to finish. Along the way they need to collect three keys to open
the treasure. Players strategize, cooperate and build a path together. If they do it before the Ogre gets there, they all win! For 2 to 4 players ages
5 years and older.
Children will learn:
- Math Grid Concepts
- Shared Decision Making
Preschoolers are free to express their creativity, with squishy, squashy Playfoam that never dries out! Just squish up the Playfoam, shape it however you like, then squash it back down and start all over again.
- Non-Toxic, safe and fun sensory play
Q&A a Day for Kids: A Three-Year Journal
"This is a great springboard for conversations. I don't have to ask "tough" questions and get a shrug, or try to force an awkward discussion about "what did you do in school today" because it all comes out when I ask these questions and show that I'm accepting of every answer she gives. She has even said she didn't want to answer a question, and that was ok with me. It's still an answer, right? A question in this book is what raised the big red flag for me when she told me how bored she was in school, or that someone was stealing her pencils, or that a place called Cat Paradise exists, if only in her and her friends' minds.
Plus, my daughter loves this. It's special to her and she's special to me. I highly recommend it."
Secret Door - A Cooperative Mystery Game
A mystery game! Valuables have been stolen, and we have to find them before midnight. Together players search through the mansion for clues. At midnight, the thieves may slip away with all the hidden booty! Children enjoy figuring out the mystery of what is behind the Secret Door. Because of the cooperative principle, everyone is part of a team that discusses ideas and shares strategies. Other important skills of memory and logic get a workout, too. Each game is different, exciting and tricky. That's why adults like playing along!
For 1 to 8 players ages 5 through 7 years. Made in Canada using recycled boards and papers, soy-based inks, water based glues and safe paints.
Sensory Bed Sheet for Kids
If you have a sensory seeking, restless child who has a hard time self-soothing to sleep, this may change your life. Weighted blankets can be terrific to calm kids who need that extra security, but they sometimes have a way of sliding off a restless child. This wrap slips over the mattress like a pillow case, so it can't come off.
- A smart alternative to restrictive weighted blankets, these sensory sheets help keep you cool and comfortable all throughout the night
- Offers firm, relaxing support for children of all ages.
- Offers deep touch pressure these compression sheets for kids let you increase or decrease compression as your children grow.
Sensory Stepping Balance Buckets
This Stepping Balance Buckets Set includes 6 buckets for kids to play alone or together. Inspiring children to jump, stretch and balance for full-body
exercise, this set promotes gross motor skills, balance and coordination through physical activity. It also encourages important social skills when
playing with others.
- Each oversized bucket provides ample room for stepping.
- Can create a complex obstacle course for loads of fun.
Stomp Rocket Dueling Rockets
This special Stomp Rocket with Dueling Base lets 2 kids (or a grownup and child!) launch air rockets at the same time, so you can see whose goes higher! Better yet, estimate how high each one went and add them together, for a score that's higher when you work together! Great for year round fun to get kids away from screen time, play with outdoor toys, and move their bodies.
Table Top Air Hockey Game
The challenge with preteens is that they stop playing pretend games, and get glued to their screens. When friends come over, they start giggling over youtube videos instead of playing physical games or even board games. But everyone loves air hockey. It's exciting, fun, and cool enough to get preteens of both genders engaged.
The Floor is Lava - Interactive Game for Kids and Adults
The Floor is Lava! is a game where players must imagine the floor is molten hot lava while spinning the color wheel to jump to the right foam pieces to reach safety. The Floor is Lava! is a family game that promotes physical activity, an active imagination, and engaging excitement for kids and adults. Perfect family activity for moving your body inside or out!
- This game gets children jumping, leaping, playing, and improving their strength, conditioning, balance, and endurance!
- Each of these cushioned, durable, slip-resistant foam stepping stones can be used during outdoor parties or indoor sleepovers.
The Talking, Feeling and Doing Game
When I did child therapy, I used this game all the time and children loved it. And when my own children reached school age, they loved it too. My young adult daughter still talks about how much she loved this game as a child. This game gives children an easy way to talk about emotions and thoughts.
- One of the most popular tools used in child psychotherapy.
- The questions and directions in each set of cards include items that are not anxiety provoking to items that are moderately anxiety provoking.
Totem the feel good game
Foster and strengthen positive relationships between family members by playing a conversation card game that encourages people to look at their bright side.
- Great self-esteem activity
- A way to develop your mindfullness by simply being in the present moment feeling all these good vibes about your unique talents.
Every child needs a padded Tumbling Mat. It can be unfolded to allow rambunctious play inside. It fosters motor skills. It keeps kids busy in physical play, so they sleep better. Babies can use it to learn to crawl and walk, toddlers, preschoolers and older to roughhouse and practice tumbling and gymnastics. This giant, colorful tumbling mat is safe for indoor or outdoor exercise and play. Open, it measures 4' x 6'. Durable and easy to clean surface.
Every child needs a padded Tumbling Mat. It can be unfolded to allow rambunctious play inside. It fosters motor skills. It keeps kids busy in physical play, so they sleep better. Babies can use it to learn to crawl and walk, toddlers, preschoolers and older to roughhouse and practice tumbling and gymnastics.
This giant, colorful tumbling mat is safe for indoor or outdoor exercise and play. Open, it measures 4' x 6'. Durable and easy to clean surface.
This weighted blanket with its star design is perfect for your school-aged child who seeks the comfort and care weighted blankets can give. Florensi was founded with a mission to provide relaxation and peace to everybody regardless of level of need. The stitching of our weighted blanket is sturdy and the ergonomic 4" design helps ensure that the blanket hugs the body, while providing an equal distribution of weight across the body. The small stitched areas help beads stay put within the designated area, preventing leakage and ensuring quality. This blanket comes in different pounds; make sure to follow the 7-10% bodyweight rule while selecting your blanket.
Weighted Lap Pad
This 2lb Lap Pad helps your kids stay calm and less anxious.
- Compact size makes it easy to carry with kids to many off-site locations and school
- Helps kids stay focused in class
- Used on lap or on the shoulders for a gentle hug, help kids feel secure, grounded, and safe
- Weighted lap pads have been proven useful as a calming tool for individuals with sensory issues
Worry Eater's adorable zipper mouth provides children with a safe place to share worries and anxieties. Children are invited to write or draw their worries and place them in the Worry Eater’s mouth, so that the Worry Eater can hold onto them. Some parents use a small notebook that fits in the mouth, that the child writes on and the parent later reads.
•High-quality, super-soft plush and unique, eye catching designs are appealing to everyone. Choose your favorite character!
•Encourages communication between adults and children
•Teaches children healthy coping skills and builds self-esteem
More Recommended Gifts
Looking for gift ideas for a different age? Here are more recommendations. Enjoy browsing!