Recommended Gifts - School Age
Looking for gift ideas for a different age?
Max - A Cooperative Game
Players work together to get the creatures safely home before Max the cat gets them, and children learn to use logic, consultation and cooperative decision making in an exciting way. For 1 to 8 players ages 4 through 7 years. Made in Canada using recycled boards and papers, soy-based inks, water based glues and safe paints.
Does your child love to spin? The Spin Disk lets kids spin inside or outside! Improves balance and coordination for all kids, but a must for kids who need the vestibular input of spinning. Allows children to lie down, sit, or kneel, while spinning. Daily use builds core muscles for overall pediatric development. Recommended by parents and occupational therapists. Unlike other older rotational devices, the Spin Disc has a larger oblong base (26"W x 24" L) that spins freely on an angle. For children or adults up to 125lbs.
Rush Hour Traffic Jam Logic Game
In this single-player game, the child moves cars along a grid to rescue a vehicle in trouble. Develops the prefrontal cortex -- the executive function -- by teaching the child to plan and use logic to problem-solve. A refreshing, addictive alternative to screens, the Rush Hour Traffic Jam Logic Game and STEM Toy for Boys and Girls has won over 20 Awards, and been an International Bestseller for Over 20 Years.
Fort Building Kit
All kids love to build forts using blankets in the living room, but often kids get frustrated because their imagination so exceeds their available building materials, and the forts just collapse. Fort Building Kit to the rescue!
- All-in-One Fort Kit: With 28 geometric balls and 49 reinforced sticks, our 77-piece kit allows you to build forts of all shapes and sizes! Just add a bedsheet and create a cozy hideaway.
- Spark Creativity: Whether they’re designing a house, a castle or a rocket ship, our fort kit encourages kids to develop their imaginative and problem-solving skills! Great for both boys and girls, the collaborative element teaches teamwork as well as cooperation.
- Fun for All Ages: Designed for children aged 5 and up, our fort pieces are intuitive and easy to use! They connect in a matter of seconds and disassemble just as effortlessly. And since the pieces are conveniently portable, kids can use them virtually everywhere.
- Designed for Durability: Made with solid, premium plastic, we’ve developed durable building pieces that parents can trust! Safe for indoor as well as outdoor use, the pieces will remain securely connected, so you don’t have to worry about structures collapsing.
Dollhouses are terrific for imaginative play. They're wonderful to help kids play out the emotions related to family issues ("Whoops....the pterodactyl just carried off the baby...too bad") and parents can even use them to initiate that kind of play. And many kids simply love them. (See also: Jupiter Workshop Modern Wood Dollhouse with Furniture below).
The Kidcraft Dollhouse:
- Includes 19 pieces of furniture.
- Two molded plastic staircases allow kids to continue the action on different floors.
- Three levels of open space, Windows and doors that open and close
- Solidly made, a great value for the money.
Air Hover Soccer Ball
Kids need to move. When your child has too much energy, or can't pry himself away from a screen, how about a game of soccer or hockey? It doesn't matter that the rain is pouring down. This power disc works anywhere.
The hover soccer can float on a cushion of air produced by a powerful fan and built-in rotary motor, which makes this toy easy to glide over any smooth surface. You can use it on your home floor, flat ground and low-pile carpet, etc., and turn any floor into an air hockey/soccer field.
Anti-Nausea Seaband for Children
Does your child cry in the carseat? Maybe she's car sick! Many moms swear by the Seaband, a great remedy for carsickness.
Advantages of Anti-Nausea Seaband for Children include:
- Drug-free, so there are no side effects
- Can be used in cars, on planes, on boats, on Ferris wheels (anywhere!)
- Comes in a variety of colors
- Safe for ages 3+
Bead Jewelry Making Kit with Display Stand
- CREATE YOUR OWN JEWELRY: Unleash your inner designer with this Jewelry Kit! It features everything you need to create your own original jewelry designs, including necklaces, bracelets & earrings!
- EVERYTHING YOU NEED: This kit includes a variety of jewelry notions: necklace clasps, elastic bands, ribbon, earring clasps & cords to help you get started! Plus over 2000 assorted beads are included!
- SPARK CREATIVITY: Our toys will help spark your child's imagination & creativity while promoting the development of essential skills with everything from magic trick kits to STEM building sets.
Chew Stixx Pencil Toppers
I still remember my teacher saying to me "It looks like you have a puppy in your desk!" If you have a child who chews on her pencils, she needs these chewable pencil toppers.
- Defeats destructive oral grinding
- Lessens anxiety
- Improves attention spans
- Bacteria free when used properly
- Excellent for use in therapy or school
Does your child chew on his collar or sleeve when he gets anxious or excited? The solution is Chewelry! This necklace is great for boys or girls, and there are lots of designs.
- Made from FDA approved food grade silicone
- Phthalate, BPA, PVC, Latex and Lead free
- 18" Safety Lanyard with instruction for cutting to size
Encourage your child to get creative with this truly unique pillowcase/pen set. Kids will love these doodle pillowcases, which come in a variety of designs to spark their imagination and creativity. When they are ready for a new look, simply machine wash and dry the pillowcase and start all over again.
- 100% Turkish cotton pillowcase complete with a set of 10 doodle color wash out pens
- ink washes out completely on a warm machine wash
- set contains 1 pillowcase approx 75x50cm and 1 set of 10 double-ended wash-out fabric pens
Family Fun Night Project - Make Together Values Poster
Everything you need to make a cool poster together that describes your family and gives you a chance to discuss your values and bond.
- Fun for all. Gather the family and make something you'll cherish forever
- Great family time craft. Not only are you making a beautiful decorative bowl, you're making time for each other and sweet memories in the process
- Kit includes everything: 1 plastic bowl form, 60 patterned paper circles in 2 sizes, 6 oz. (177 ml) water-based glue, 1 foam applicator
Fraction Rainbow Tiles
The best tool for kids to introduce fractions and make the concepts easy. 51-piece set includes color-coded, soft foam, magnetic tiles to depict wholes, halves, thirds, fourths, fifths, sixths, eighths, tenths, and twelfths.
- These magnetic fraction strips make learning fractions is easier with visual, hands-on magnetic aids
- This magnetic fraction set will Introduce fraction concepts, parts to whole, equivalents, and comparisons
- Magnetic fraction bars can be used at home or in the classroom and are easy to wipe clean
- 51-piece set includes color-coded, soft foam, magnetic tiles to depict wholes, halves, thirds, fourths, fifths, sixths, eighths, tenths, and twelfths
Funny Nose Pencil Sharpener
A fun and functional gift for gradeschoolers up through early teens, this silly sharpener makes a great stocking stuffer!
Gears! Gears! Gears! Super Building Set
Glow In The Dark Wonder Stars
If you had stars on your ceiling as a child, you'll know how terrific these are. If you didn't, wait until you lie with your child in her dark room looking at her glowing ceiling! Relaxing as kids fall asleep. Even teenagers love them.
These stars have a Lifetime glow guaranteed by the manufacturer. 50 "glow in the dark" plastic stars of varying sizes, with adhesive. Made by Great Explorations.
Hanging Swing Chair by Harkla
All kids love cozy places. Kids with sensory issues are often calmed most easily when those cozy places swing. All kids will want this hanging chair in their room and find it soothing, but it is especially great for sensory seeking children.
"Swinging helps create a calm, relaxed sense of well-being, along with building a sense of balance and body control."
- Comes with ceiling hooks, carabiner, and air pump
- Safe up to 150 pounds.
- 100% lifetime money-back guarantee
Do you have a sunny window? Your window and this kit will give your child everything they need to have an experience every child deserves -- growing plants from seeds. And since these plants are herbs- Thyme, Basil, Cilantro, Parsley and Sage - your child gets the added joy of tasting their plants and adding them to food.
- Grow 5 herbs from seed - Basil, Thyme, Cilantro, Parsley, and Sage.
- Nature’s Blossom’s indoor grow kit contains: Seed starting soil pellets, Biodegradable growing pots, Plant markers, and Instruction manual.
- Seeds are 100% Organic, 100% NON-GMO, open pollinated and naturally grown in the USA.
- These houseplants are recommended for Indoor/Outdoors home gardens.
Indigo Dreams: Relaxation and Stress Management Bedtime Stories for Children
Wonderful, soothing relaxation cd for kids. The stories create beautiful and relaxing images and messages. Highly recommended for bedtime or anytime your child needs a little help to manage stress and anxiety. Produced by Lori Lite.
Kidoozie Foam Pogo Jumper
Jumping fun for everyone. Made from soft, durable foam is great for indoor and outdoor play and squeaks with every hop. The bungee stretches to accommodate children of all heights and can support up to 250 pounds. Kids and adults alike will have a hopping good time on the Hop & Squeak Pogo Jumper. For ages 3 years and up.
- Comfort grip handles
- Great for indoor and outdoor play
- Fun for adults too
Love, Dad and Me: A Father and Daughter Keepsake Journal
This engaging prompt journal is the perfect tool to build father-daughter relationships. Kids can record memories, swap stories, compare perspectives, and explore common and unique interests with their dads! Interactive lists and letters back and forth invite both dad and daughter to reflect, write, and doodle about topics timely to their lives as kids, build self-confidence, and improve their penmanship.
Mindfulness Matters: The game that uses mindfulness skills to improve coping in everyday life
Fun card game that teaches kids 9-18 mindfulness daily life skills and strategies to reduce stress, anger, and worry, and enhance focus and social skills.
- Mindfulness Matters is the original mindfulness card game, developed by a therapist.
- Mindfulness strategies are useful for combating stress, anger, worry and increasing focus.
- Teaches and engages children and teens in critical mindfulness skills. Players learn different mindfulness techniques and how to apply them in their everyday lives.
- Fun cooperative game play helps to enhance social skills. Ages 9-18. For 2-4 players.
Mp3 Player for Audiobooks
Let your preschooler listen to audio content they want, whenever they want: music, stories, audiobooks, or lullabies without being concerned about screen time! Content can be imported offline or streamed directly from the speaker. It's fully portable (8 hours built-in battery), wireless (wifi, bluetooth) or local offline.
Very calming for kids from toddlers to teens. (Works for frenzied adults, too!) If you sit with your child to watch this the first few times, and hand it to your child when she's over-excited, you'll find that she gravitates to it when she wants to calm herself down.
Peaceable Kingdom Fish Stix - The Game Where Every Fish Counts
In this game players match the fish, row by row - the more you match, the faster you go! Fish Stix is a visual strategy game that takes minutes to learn and is a different game every time you play. Each player starts the game with a score sheet from the score pad, a pen or pencil and 3 fish sticks. Take turns matching fish sticks and counting fish - the board grows as the game goes! The game can be played with or without strategy making it easier for different ages to play together! For 2 to 4 players ages 6 to 12 years.
Peaceable Kingdom Race to the Treasure
In this game players try to beat the Ogre to the treasure by creating a path from start to finish. Along the way they need to collect three keys to open
the treasure. Players strategize, cooperate and build a path together. If they do it before the Ogre gets there, they all win! For 2 to 4 players ages
5 years and older.
Children will learn:
- Math Grid Concepts
- Shared Decision Making
Posable Pocket Fairies
- Each posable doll fits into pockets or purses for fun on the run.
- Ages 3 and up.
Q&A a Day for Kids: A Three-Year Journal
"This is a great springboard for conversations. I don't have to ask "tough" questions and get a shrug, or try to force an awkward discussion about "what did you do in school today" because it all comes out when I ask these questions and show that I'm accepting of every answer she gives. She has even said she didn't want to answer a question, and that was ok with me. It's still an answer, right? A question in this book is what raised the big red flag for me when she told me how bored she was in school, or that someone was stealing her pencils, or that a place called Cat Paradise exists, if only in her and her friends' minds.
Plus, my daughter loves this. It's special to her and she's special to me. I highly recommend it."
Secret Door - A Cooperative Mystery Game
A mystery game! Valuables have been stolen, and we have to find them before midnight. Together players search through the mansion for clues. At midnight, the thieves may slip away with all the hidden booty! Children enjoy figuring out the mystery of what is behind the Secret Door. Because of the cooperative principle, everyone is part of a team that discusses ideas and shares strategies. Other important skills of memory and logic get a workout, too. Each game is different, exciting and tricky. That's why adults like playing along!
For 1 to 8 players ages 5 through 7 years. Made in Canada using recycled boards and papers, soy-based inks, water based glues and safe paints.
Snugbug - Improved Weighted Blanket
If you have a sensory seeking, restless child who has a hard time self-soothing to sleep, this may change your life. Weighted blankets can be terrific to calm kids who need that extra security, but they sometimes have a way of sliding off a restless child. This wrap slips over the mattress like a pillow case, so it can't come off.
"Provides the same deep pressure input as that of a weighted blanket. By snugly securing the same type of material around her bed, I was able to help my daughter achieve the input, spacial, and body awareness her body was so desperately craving. The SnugBug works by providing the body with deep pressure input which provides an overall calming effect by increasing endorphin and serotonin production."
Table Top Air Hockey Game
The challenge with preteens is that they stop playing pretend games, and get glued to their screens. When friends come over, they start giggling over youtube videos instead of playing physical games or even board games. But everyone loves air hockey. It's exciting, fun, and cool enough to get preteens of both genders engaged.
The Talking, Feeling and Doing Game
When I did child therapy, I used this game all the time and children loved it. And when my own children reached school age, they loved it too. This game gives children an easy way to talk about emotions and thoughts.
- One of the most popular tools used in child psychotherapy.
- The questions and directions in each set of cards include items that are not anxiety provoking to items that are moderately anxiety provoking.
Every child needs a padded Tumbling Mat. It can be unfolded to allow rambunctious play inside. It fosters motor skills. It keeps kids busy in physical play, so they sleep better. Babies can use it to learn to crawl and walk, toddlers, preschoolers and older to roughhouse and practice tumbling and gymnastics. This giant, colorful tumbling mat is safe for indoor or outdoor exercise and play. Open, it measures 4' x 6'. Durable and easy to clean surface.
Every child needs a padded Tumbling Mat. It can be unfolded to allow rambunctious play inside. It fosters motor skills. It keeps kids busy in physical play, so they sleep better. Babies can use it to learn to crawl and walk, toddlers, preschoolers and older to roughhouse and practice tumbling and gymnastics.
This giant, colorful tumbling mat is safe for indoor or outdoor exercise and play. Open, it measures 4' x 6'. Durable and easy to clean surface.
This weighted blanket with its star design is perfect for your school-aged child who seeks the comfort and care weighted blankets can give. Florensi was founded with a mission to provide relaxation and peace to everybody regardless of level of need. The stitching of our weighted blanket is sturdy and the ergonomic 4" design helps ensure that the blanket hugs the body, while providing an equal distribution of weight across the body. The small stitched areas help beads stay put within the designated area, preventing leakage and ensuring quality. This blanket comes in different pounds; make sure to follow the 7-10% bodyweight rule while selecting your blanket.
Worry Eater's adorable zipper mouth provides children with a safe place to share worries and anxieties. Children are invited to write or draw their worries and place them in the Worry Eater’s mouth, so that the Worry Eater can hold onto them. Some parents use a small notebook that fits in the mouth, that the child writes on and the parent later reads.
•High-quality, super-soft plush and unique, eye catching designs are appealing to everyone. Choose your favorite character!
•Encourages communication between adults and children
•Teaches children healthy coping skills and builds self-esteem
More Recommended Gifts
Looking for gift ideas for a different age? Here are more recommendations. Enjoy browsing!