Recommended Gifts - Toddlers
Looking for gift ideas for a different age?
Little Partners Safety Tower and Kitchen Helper
Do you have an active toddler who drives you crazy getting into everything and needing your attention? Toddlers NEED to be involved in the work of daily life; that's how they learn. Since we spend so much time in the kitchen, every family needs a safe stool that raises a toddler high enough to "help" at the kitchen counter. That's why I love safety towers; they keep your busy toddler occupied and learning, while happily connected with you while you work.
Just need to keep your toddler busy for ten minutes while you're at the stove? Pull the tower up to the sink and let your child "wash" your pans and tupperware. Giving your toddler actual "tasks" in the kitchen (wash the vegies, stir the batter) can spark a love of food preparation that will last through childhood and make your child a healthier eater.
These are worth every penny and then some in the time they keep kids safe, happy, learning and engaged with you. There are cheaper towers out there, but I'm not recommending them because I'm not confident they're sturdy enough to prevent toppling.
The Little Partners Learning Tower is sturdy, height adjustable, and non-tipping. Finished with a non-toxic, lead-free finish that cleans easily with a damp cloth. Fits flush against the average counter top allowing kids to step up safely, without pinched fingers or falling. Adjustable platform so that it can adapt to your child's height. It will support up to 500 pounds, making it safe for up to two children at a time. With a few accessories (sold separately), the Learning Tower can also be configured and used as a puppet theater, fort, doll house and other fun activities.
Does your child love to spin? The Spin Disk lets kids spin inside or outside! Improves balance and coordination for all kids, but a must for kids who need the vestibular input of spinning. Allows children to lie down, sit, or kneel, while spinning. Daily use builds core muscles for overall pediatric development. Recommended by parents and occupational therapists. Unlike other older rotational devices, the Spin Disc has a larger oblong base (26"W x 24" L) that spins freely on an angle. For children or adults up to 125lbs.
Every toddler and preschooler needs a doctor kit. Why? Because all children have medical appointments during which their body is touched, poked, prodded and sometimes hurt by doctors and nurses. We know this is to help our child stay healthy, but it often doesn't feel good to children. Playing with a doctor kit allows the child to "work through" those feelings and overcome any related fears. It also helps us as parents prepare our child for doctor appointments.
(Note: The Melissa and Doug kit does not have a blood pressure cuff. It does have a white lab coat. I used to recommend the Fisher-Price Doctor Kit but it has been on lists of toys with high toxin levels, so I have removed it from my website.)
Inside Trampoline - Bazoongi Bouncer
Does your child jump on the couch? All kids need to jump. Kids with sensory issues especially need to jump. At 48", this trampoline will fit into any living room to give children a safe place to jump. I like this trampoline because it is has six legs instead of four, which makes it sturdier and safer. The springs are covered by a oversize pad to keep little feet safe. Of course, parental supervision is still essential.
- 3.5" Galvanized Springs (30)
- Rust Resistant Galvanized Steel Frame
- Handle Adjust Easily to Two Different Sizes
- Maximum weight capacity: 100 lbs
Melissa & Doug Cutting Food Box
This is one of my favorite toys for toddlers and preschoolers. They cook, play house and restaurant, serve each other food. They pack bandannas to run away to the forest. Cutting the food is so satisfying.
This set contains eight pieces of wooden food, a cutting board and a wooden knife. Food makes a fun “CRUNCH” sound when sliced. With 25 pieces, it’s also a great way to introduce the concepts of part, whole and fractions. Comes in wooden box with slide-on lid.
Age recommendation: Some 18 month olds are ready for this kit, some aren't. It will depend on whether they're likely to put small pieces in their mouths. Older toddlers will love it, as will preschoolers.
Potty Seat with Step Stool Ladder
I recommend this seat highly for kids who are hesitant to use the big toilet. It helps kids feel completely secure while climbing up, turning around, and sitting. It gives them a wide platform to push against so their legs aren't dangling, which makes elimination easier. It is very stable and has rubber feet that lock down to keep it secure.
Has sanitary grab areas for kids to hold on. Sturdy, comfortable, safe, built in non-slip steps with anti-slip pads.
- Turns adult-size toilets into cute kids-friendly ones that make kids feel like to use. Contoured seat offers comfortable and safe seating with anti-slip pads beneath. Fits most standard-size toilets. Created with Adjustable legs that accommodate different toilet heights
- Best suited for standard-size toilet with height at 35-43cm/13.78”-16.93”. Now comes with 2 attachments for shorter and taller toilets
- Built-in splash guard helps keep seat clean. Adjustable wide non-slip step at two heights and handles for easy climbing
- Easy assembly and folding for storage
Medieval Castle Cardboard Playhouse
Kids love playhouses. In the winter (or if you live in an apartment), they are great to have indoors. You can make one yourself from cardboard, of course. But sometimes it's worth it just to set up a pre-made playhouse and start them playing. I love that these come ready for kids to draw on and decorate. Even if you reinforce with duct tape (often a good idea especially for a birthday party or rambunctious three year olds), you can cut the duct tape when you're done, fold it up, and store it. Pull it out again in a couple of months for another round of imaginative play. Rocket ship? (see Shuttle Imagination below) Adventure castle? They're all fun, and can easily metamorphose into teepees, forts, or simply a game of house. 100% recycled materials.
Anti-Nausea Seaband for Children
Does your child cry in the carseat? Maybe she's car sick! Many moms swear by the Seaband, a great remedy for carsickness.
Advantages of Anti-Nausea Seaband for Children include:
- Drug-free, so there are no side effects
- Can be used in cars, on planes, on boats, on Ferris wheels (anywhere!)
- Comes in a variety of colors
- Safe for ages 3+
Toddlers love to pound these balls and then watch them move through the levels. Entrancing enough to encourage independent play.
- This Multi-color pound a ball is ideal for hammering practice.
- The design of hammer and balls are specially made for little hands and suitable for an easy grip.
- The smooth-sanded balls Drop down after hammered and Roll out the Side.
- Keep kids busy with this particular pounding ball action toy it is very helpful to grow up your infant's mind.
Blocks: 60-Piece Standard Unit
Every toddler and preschooler should have at least one wooden block set in their toy collection. (My kids used them until middle school.) The Melissa & Doug Standard Unit Blocks include 60 precision-cut, standard-shaped, solid wooden blocks that will engage your child's imagination in open-ended play for hours. Designed for ages three and up, these blocks feature smooth, rounded edges and are housed in a convenient, sturdy wooden storage crate.
- 60-piece standard unit block set allows children to build towers and towns
- Stimulates creativity and hones basic motor skills
- Features natural look; pieces are easy for little fingers to grasp
- Excellent tool for teaching math concepts, organizational skills, sequential skills, and spatial relations
Your little architect will love building bridges, towers, farms for her animals and endless other projects. In these days of electronic toys, it's important not to forget the fundamentals of childhood development. Wooden blocks offer children endless ways to exercise their imagination as they improve their hand-eye coordination and gross motor skills. They also help children establish important relationships between the "part" and the "whole," and the help to provide basic lessons in math, engineering and gravity.
Does your child chew on his collar or sleeve when he gets anxious or excited? The solution is Chewelry! This necklace is great for boys or girls, and there are lots of designs.
- Made from FDA approved food grade silicone
- Phthalate, BPA, PVC, Latex and Lead free
- 18" Safety Lanyard with instruction for cutting to size
Child-Sized Table and Chairs
Every child needs a child-sized table and chairs for drawing, building and working on projects. If you keep it in or near the kitchen, your child can be near you but happily absorbed in his own "work." Toddlers and preschoolers also prefer eating at child-sized tables instead of on booster seats or in high chairs, so if your child is eating without you, a child-sized table is usually a better option. This kind of table is also great if your child has a "bedtime snack." When my son was small, we had one in his bedroom and one near the kitchen, and used them both daily.
As Maria Montessori first told us, children love to clean, when they have child-sized tools they can handle. Great way for your toddler or preschooler to "work" alongside you as you do housekeeping, and a natural way for children to transition to real participation in the household.
- 6-piece cleaning set for hours of pretend play housekeeping
- Includes broom, mop, duster, dust pan, brush, and storage stand
- All pieces durably made and sized for kids
- Dust pan snaps onto all handles
- Sturdy wooden construction
Earth Mama Baby Angel Baby Oil
With its blend of natural oils and organic herbal extracts, Earth Mama Angel Baby's Angel Baby Oil pampers your little one's delicate skin. The gentle oil absorbs easily, making it ideal for infant massage, cradle cap, or moisturizing dry, sensitive skin in children of all ages. Angel Baby Oil is rated zero for toxicity on the Skin Deep database, so it's safe for everyone from babies to nursing mothers.
- Grapeseed and organic jojoba oils absorb easily
- Chamomile calms cranky babies
- Calendula soothes and moisturizes dry skin
- Fragrance free, gluten-free
Extra Large 12-Piece Stacking Rainbow Arches Wooden Blocks
These gorgeous blocks lend themselves to creative play, whether your child is driving trucks under a tunnel, building a fort for his animals, or looking for gold at the end of the rainbow. Highest quality, long-lasting and guaranteed to be used for your child's entire childhood.
- L 14.25 in. x 6.5 in. tall x 2.75 in.
- Beautiful wooden stacking rainbow includes 12 pieces
- Stack one on top of another; push them out into a tunnel; turn one upside down for a see-saw for dolls
- Made in Germany
- Grimm's Spiel und Holz - Spiel Gut Award Winning Toy!
This is a great gift that encourages eye-hand coordination and problem-solving skills. Kids can play this with others or by themselves.
- Wooden magnetic fishing game that builds confidence while it entertains
- Catch the fish with the magnetic "hook"!
- Includes working wind-up rod and reel
- Use as a 2-player game or solo activity
- Great for hand-eye coordination, fine motor skills, problem-solving, and interpersonal skills
Melissa & Doug Deluxe Latches Board
If your toddler loves to get into everything, this is the toy you need. Many toddlers love to understand how things work, open and close things, and play hide 'n seek. This toy satisfies all those desires.
- Brightly colored, smooth-sanded pieces help build early shape, color and size differentiation skills
- Hide-and-seek pictures behind each door help develop fine motor skills
- Incredible value and superior craftsmanship
Very calming for kids from toddlers to teens. (Works for frenzied adults, too!) If you sit with your child to watch this the first few times, and hand it to your child when she's over-excited, you'll find that she gravitates to it when she wants to calm herself down.
Parent and Child Puppet Set
Puppets are invaluable to act out scenarios with children, from planned separations to potty training. Every home needs a "parent and child" puppet set to facilitate these "stories" and these dolphins are plush, adorable, and non-gendered.
- 13" soft plush toy made with high-quality materials
Pit Balls with Polka Dot Hamper
These balls will keep kids busy for an hour. Just dump them in a kiddie pool or playpen to create your own ball pit.
- 200 "Phthalate Free" pit balls
- Provide safety and comfort for children in play tent houses or ball pits
- Each ball measures 6.5cm (~2 3/4" inches) and can withstand ~150 lbs. All balls are crush-proof, non-PVC plastic, and phthalate free. The balls are designed to fit a child's hand while not being too big or small.
- Safe, non-toxic, and easy to clean.
Sensory Play Table
All kids need sensory play! And if you have a child who craves tactile experience -- Are you constantly trying to stop her from touching everything? -- she NEEDS a way to get her hands into textures. Solution: A play table to keep messy play contained.
Note: This table has a space for both sand and water, which allows kids to mix them. I love that, because it makes the sand the right texture to build
castles. For cleanup, just drain the water, let the sand dry, and put the sand back into its own side. You can also put sand on both sides, water on
both sides, or introduce other sensory objects like shaving cream, small animals, ice, pasta or beans. Here's a link with lots of ideas for using sensory
Spill Proof Paint Cups
Kids love to paint, and like all art, it's therapeutic. These cups make painting very easy on the parents. The screw on lid will not accidentally come off, so spills are eliminated. And because the seal is airtight, the paint can be left in the cups without drying out! That means you can buy paint in cheaper large bottles, pour smaller amounts into the cups, and eliminate the chore of washing the cups in between. You can just leave the easel set up, with a splash mat under it, and painting becomes no big deal. Set of four, with colored lids (red, green, yellow, blue).
Every child needs a padded Tumbling Mat. It can be unfolded to allow rambunctious play inside. It fosters motor skills. It keeps kids busy in physical play, so they sleep better. Babies can use it to learn to crawl and walk, toddlers, preschoolers and older to roughhouse and practice tumbling and gymnastics. This giant, colorful tumbling mat is safe for indoor or outdoor exercise and play. Open, it measures 4' x 6'. Durable and easy to clean surface.
Every child needs a padded Tumbling Mat. It can be unfolded to allow rambunctious play inside. It fosters motor skills. It keeps kids busy in physical play, so they sleep better. Babies can use it to learn to crawl and walk, toddlers, preschoolers and older to roughhouse and practice tumbling and gymnastics.
This giant, colorful tumbling mat is safe for indoor or outdoor exercise and play. Open, it measures 4' x 6'. Durable and easy to clean surface.
Vegetable Play Food Set
If we want children to love vegetables, we need to engage with them. These realistic looking vegies are fun for children to "shop" for and "cook" with and "serve" and they help children get more interested in eating vegetables.
- Realistically sized vegetables look just like the real thing
- Durable molded plastic vegetables are ideal for pretend kitchen play
- 7 pieces included
- Sturdy construction
Wooden Shape Sorting Clock
Another terrific Melissa & Doug toy! This toy will grow with your child, beginning with fitting the shapes, proceeding to learning numbers, and eventually to understanding how to tell time.
- Wood Clock
- Colorful shaped numbers
- Learn to tell time
More Recommended Gifts
Looking for gift ideas for a different age? Here are more recommendations. Enjoy browsing!