Aha! Parenting helps you create a more peaceful home -- and happy, responsible, considerate kids!
Are you looking for that Aha! Moment to transform your child’s behavior, or maybe your own? Whether you're wondering how to handle a specific challenge, just figuring out your child-raising approach, or ready to tear your hair out, you’ve come to the right place.
What is Aha! Parenting? You know what an Aha! Moment is, right? With our child, it’s that lightning flash of insight, when suddenly we see things from another perspective, and everything has the potential to be different.
Are you moving away from "old school" parenting toward "gentle guidance" and "positive discipline"?
Are you wishing you could help your child WANT to behave, rather than scaring him into compliance or breaking his will?
Would you like to connect more with your child to build a close, affectionate relationship instead of struggling for control?
Do you want to raise kids who grow up into happy, considerate, responsible, competent people?
Do you consider yourself to be using some or all of the practices of “attachment” parenting, and want an experienced resource to consult about challenges that emerge with each stage?
Do you want to know how to raise a 21st century kid using eternal values?
Do you want to feel more inspired and confident as a parent?
- Your kids will be happier, more cooperative , and well-adjusted -- a joy to parent, most of the time.
- You'll be happier and more relaxed.
- Your family life will be more meaningful and fun.
- You'll raise ethical kids who are happy, considerate, self-disciplined, responsible, and likable -- without ever having to punish!
- You'll give your kids a real childhood while still preparing them for 21st century life.
- You and your kids will have a close, loving relationship for the rest of your life.
You've come to the right place! Dr. Laura Markham creates Aha! moments for parents of kids from babies through teens. She trained as a Clinical Psychologist at Columbia University, but she's also a mom, so she understands kids -- and parents!
Dr. Laura sounds three clear themes:
1. Our most important responsibility as parents is regulating our own emotions, which is essential for our children to learn to manage themselves. When we're in balance, we're better parents. Quite simply, we can only give what we have inside. That's why Dr. Laura's free coaching emails often focus on how to take better care of ourselves.
2. From tantrums to texting, the secret of happy parenting is a close relationship with your child. Of course kids need guidance, but that only sticks if the connection is there to support our teaching. Without that connection, we have little influence ("My kids won't listen!") and, frankly, parenting becomes an exhausting, thankless task.
3. Coach, instead of trying to control, so your child WANTS to cooperate with you. All humans, including very young ones, balk when they feel forced. Sure, you need to set limits--but if you set them with empathy and respect, you'll find your child is much more likely to comply. That's also the foundation for raising emotionally intelligent kids.
Welcome to the work of parenting. Of course, that's where the rewards are, too.
Parenting is tough, but it isn't complicated. Give yourself the support you deserve, with Dr. Laura's free coaching emails or her book, Peaceful Parent, Happy Kids: How to Stop Yelling and Start Connecting.
Does this kind of parenting work? Hear what parents have to say!
"I admire and appreciate the caring life support you offer parents." -- Sura Hart Respectful Parents, Respectful Kids
"Some time ago, I came across your website and recognized your work as full of wisdom, caring and common sense." --Anne Pierce, Ships Without a Shore
Aha! Parenting: Making the world a better place….one family at a time.