Peaceful Parent, Happy Kids Online Course
Registration is now closed for the Course that begins in January. We’d be happy to send you an email notification when registration opens for the April course. Please email email@example.com to be added to our notification list.
Looking for support to parent with more peace, joy and connection?
This self-paced 12-week online program gives you the tools and inspiration you need,
to become the parent you want to be.
"This course is life changing! I love that I can go at my own pace and revisit the lessons any time in the future."
"Excellent guidance delivered with love and lack of judgment.... The content itself is incredible -- useful, inspiring and refreshing."
What You'll Get:
Every Friday for 12 weeks, you’ll receive a new audio lesson from Dr. Laura, along with a transcript, journal prompts, exercises to do with your child, handouts, short daily meditation audios and other resources. Over the course of the next week, explore and learn at your convenience. This is a self-paced course, so you'll never worry about falling behind. You have access to the course materials for the next five years. The course includes:
- 10 weekly audios. This lets you hear Dr. Laura's tone of voice and phrasing as she gives examples of how to handle everyday parenting challenges. Transcripts of the audios are included!
- 2 Live Calls where Dr. Laura answers questions from participants.
- 60 Daily Audio Inspirations, only 4 minutes long, to keep you inspired, help you develop self-regulation, and rewire your brain!
- A copy of Dr. Laura's book Peaceful Parent, Happy Kids (if you already have one, pass your new copy on -- they make great gifts!-- or you can request Dr. Laura's book Peaceful Parent, Happy Siblings during the registration process instead.) Dr. Laura will walk you through the lessons in the book to help you put them into practice in your family.
- Handouts with homework assignments, exercises, journal prompts, reminders to post on your refrigerator, and more. Every week, you'll receive specific suggestions for live interactions to put these ideas into practice with your child.
- Extras such as an audio on creating a terrific parenting partnership with your partner, videos of Dr. Laura speaking about specific parenting challenges, free ebooks, and other surprises.
- The beauty of this format is that you can work with this course at the time that is most convenient for you and your family! Everything is self-paced, and you can access the course materials on your own page on the Aha! Parenting website for the next five years.
- Both parenting partners who live together enroll for the price of one!
Special Bonus Option: Course participants will be invited to join a private Peaceful Parenting Facebook Forum to
support each other and share your learning. This Facebook Forum is not part of the Online Course, but is administered by parenting
coaches trained by Dr. Laura, and is limited to Course participants and Course Graduates who want to support each other on their peaceful
Course Curriculum Summary
Week 1- Peaceful Parenting 101
No one is peaceful all the time. But when you commit yourself to regulating your own emotions, connecting with your child, and coaching instead of controlling, your heart and your home get a lot more peaceful. In this session, I'll introduce you to the 3 big ideas that will change your life as a parent and shift your family, over the next 12 weeks, to less drama and more love.
Week 2 - Regulating Your Own Emotions
Children depend on us to help them self-regulate, so your ability to calm yourself is your most important parenting skill. In this session, I'll give you tools to notice when you're getting dangerously close to the edge, and powerful practices to return yourself to calm. If you're a yeller, here's where you take your Vow of Yellibacy.
Week 3 - Connecting with Your Child
Parenting is 80% connection and only 20% guidance, because until children feel connected they have no reason to follow our guidance. In this session, you'll learn best practices for staying connected with your child, and specific tools for reconnecting after tough times. We'll also explore the power of play, since it's one of the best ways to connect with children.
Week 4 - Parenting for Emotional Intelligence
In this session, you'll learn how emotions work, including some secrets about anger that most people don't know. You'll learn how to how to help your child empty a full emotional backpack and how to heal even the most turbulent emotions. We'll practice using empathy, your magic wand, to give your child's brain the best possible environment to grow in self-regulation.
Week 5 - Discipline
Just what does it mean to coach instead of control? In this session, we'll discuss why children misbehave and what the research says about the best way to guide your child and teach the important lessons. You'll learn how children develop self-discipline and impulse control and why time-in works while time-out doesn't. We'll practice setting limits that stick, without power struggles or drama.
Week 6 - Preventive Maintenance
You know those problems that always seem to blow up in your face and land your family in the breakdown lane, just when you don't have the resources to deal with them? You can avoid most of those surprises with preventive maintenance. This week we'll explore the power of routines, empathy, special time, scheduled meltdowns and other preventive maintenance practices, and how to put them to work at your house.
Week 7 - Making the transition to peaceful parenting
If you've been relying on bribes, threats and punishment to get your child to cooperate, you can expect some bumps as you and your children learn new patterns of relating. You're all learning new habits. And you're healing old hurt feelings so they stop driving new bad behavior. This week you'll learn what to expect and how to make this transition work for your family.
Week 8 - Live Q and A
Everyone's favorite week! Get your questions answered in a live call with Dr. Laura. (Don't worry if you can't make the time -- the call will be recorded and you can send your question in advance.)
Week 9 - Self-Care
You can only give your kids what you have inside. In this session, you'll create a self-care plan to keep your cup full, so you can be emotionally generous with others. This also includes emotional self-care -- Learning to be your own parent.
Week 10 - Mastery: Developing resilience, self-discipline and grit.
This week we explore how children develop the fortitude that leads to mastery. We'll practice encouraging rather than praising, and learn how to find the sweet spot between free range and helicoptering.
Week 11 - Healing Your Triggers
Those times when you say or do something you later regret? They're always when you're triggered, so you get hijacked by anger. In this session, I'll guide you through how to begin identifying and healing those triggers. Don't want to dig into your past? Your choice. This week is just giving you more awareness and mindfulness so you don't get upset so often, and can recover when you do.
The result? More happiness, more empathy, more peace. (And you'll be a better role model for your child.)
Week 12 - Putting it all together
This week, we'll have another live call with Dr. Laura answering questions. We'll also celebrate how far you've come and help you put together a plan to use what you've learned, every day, to stay on track in the future.
- Some peaceful parenting coaches who have been through an intensive six month training with Dr. Laura have started a private Peaceful Parenting Facebook Forum, available only to parents who are participating in this online course, or who are past graduates of it. While these coaches are admins of the page, this is primarily a community forum for parents to share successes and frustrations and give each other support and encouragement. Dr. Laura is not personally involved in this Facebook Forum and it is not officially part of this Course. However, she encourages you to join it if you want to be part of an ongoing community of parents who are committed to parenting peacefully.
- This course includes experiential, explorative, practical, and theoretical components. We will explore the underlying principles and provide concrete examples of how these play out in practical, day-to-day, real-life parenting situations.
- Transitioning to peaceful parenting can be really hard, because both you and your child are developing new habits and working through old emotions. This course will support you through those ups and downs so you stay encouraged along the way.
- This course will focus as much on you the parent as on your child. We're learning to re-parent ourselves so both we and our children can thrive. Think of this as healing your ability to love unconditionally!
- Parenting is just the sum total of your daily choices and the moments they create. How you think and what you intend makes all the difference in who you are, how you show up, and what you do. This course will help you make the choices you want to make, more often.
Who is this course for?
What Parents Say About This Online Course
Is This Course For You?
- Course cost: $139 (That's less than $12 per week)
- Value of transforming your relationship with your child: Priceless.
- No-Risk Personal Guarantee: If at any point during the first month of this course you aren't completely thrilled by what you're getting out of it, just email Administrator@AhaParenting.com asking for a refund and your payment (minus the cost of the book and a small processing fee) will be cheerfully refunded, no questions asked.
- The next Course begins in April 2017. Registration is now closed but will open on February 24. If you would like to receive an email notification when registration opens for the next course, please email Administrator@AhaParenting.com.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Q: What is an online course?
A: It’s a course that is offered via the internet and the phone, so it gives you a wonderful way to engage with both recorded lectures and live Q and A sessions with course instructor Dr. Laura Markham from the comfort of your own home!
Q: When exactly does this course happen?
A: The next course begins in April 2017. Your weekly recorded teaching and practice sessions will be released each Friday, along with accompanying handouts, homework assignments, journaling prompts, guided meditations and other resources. You will also receive a very short daily audio or written inspiration to help you stay on track. You will have continued access to all the recordings and course material for five years following the end of the course.
Q: It seems like a long time until the course begins!
A: The time will fly by, because we're going to send you Dr. Laura's book, Peaceful Parent, Happy Kids so you can start reading right away. Try some ideas and keep a list of any questions that arise for you.
In the meantime, please be sure you're subscribed to Dr. Laura's free newsletter. You'll learn terrific parenting tips and tools that you can begin using even before the course starts. To subscribe, scroll to the bottom of this page and enter your email in the subscription blank.
Q: What if I'm not able to listen to a session some week?
A: This is a self-paced course, so that's no problem. Each week, we have a different focus, and the topics build on each other. But we understand that you may not be able to listen every week. If you miss any of sessions, you can access all the course session recordings and other materials on your own account page on the Aha! Parenting website. This is the beauty of this format, especially for parents! You can work with this course material at the time that is most convenient for you and your family. Many people self-pace and take a full six months to complete the course. Some people finish it and immediately begin it again.
Q: Is this equivalent to therapy? Especially in week 11, "Healing Your Triggers," could your lesson open traumatic wounds for vulnerable parents?
A: This is an online course that gives you audio lessons and meditations to listen to, and handouts and other homework for self-directed learning. It is not anything like therapy, which gives you personalized support from a trained therapist who meets with you in person. For parents who have trauma backgrounds, I recommend that you tackle deep work only with the support of a local counselor. The reason we leave the "Healing Your Triggers" lesson for Week 11 is that by then parents who are participating in the course will be aware of their own triggers. Parents have the option in that week of working simply on their own self-regulation, or working with a trigger with their own counselor, or skipping the lesson entirely.
You also have the option of working with a parenting coach trained by Dr. Laura as you go through this course, either in one on one or group meetings via skype. This can be an invaluable way to get personalized support as you transition your family to peaceful parenting.
Q: How much does this course cost?
A: Your investment in this 12-week course is $139. When you enroll, your partner who lives with you can enroll at no charge and get their own account to access the course materials. The course includes 10 weekly audio lectures and transcripts, 60 short daily inspiration audios, one copy of Peaceful Parent, Happy Kids mailed to you anywhere in the world, two Live Calls with Dr. Laura where she answers questions, and various bonus audios and ebooks that are available for sale on the Aha! Parenting website but are given free to course participants.
Q: Are there scholarships available for this course?
A: Yes, we make sure that a certain percentage of spaces are available for partial scholarships. If you would like to apply for a scholarship, please send us a maximum of 2 pages detailing why you should receive one of these scholarships: Administrator@AhaParenting.com. Scholarship applications are being accepted now for the April Course. The deadline for scholarship applications for the April course is March 17, 2017, so please don't wait to apply.
Q: What if I live outside the US?
Great! Many course participants live outside the US. Peaceful parenting is a worldwide movement. Welcome!
Q: What is your refund policy?
A: You have Dr. Laura's No-Risk Personal Guarantee: If at any point during the first month of this course you aren't completely thrilled by what you're getting out of it, just email Administrator@AhaParenting.com asking for a refund and your payment (minus the cost of the book and a small processing fee) will be cheerfully refunded, no questions asked.
That means that refunds will be given for any cancellation received via e-mail at any time before the Friday when Session 5 is released. A $20.00 processing fee will be deducted, along with a $15 fee for your copy of Peaceful Parent, Happy Kids, which you may keep. (If you are not in the United States, the postage for mailing your book may be more than $15. In that case, the full cost of postage will be deducted.)
So you get the first month to "try out" the Course, plus the book, with no risk. As Dr. Laura says, that first month is enough to change your life!
After week 5 begins, no refunds will be made on any cancellations received. But remember, the Course materials are yours for the next five years. You can begin the Course again at any time.
Please Note: If you sell a similar parenting program or course, you will not be eligible for a refund.
Q: How can I reach Customer Support?
A: If you have any questions, or encounter any difficulties registering, please contact us at Administrator@AhaParenting.com and we’ll be happy to help you!
Give yourself the support you need,
to be the parent you want to be.
"Dr. Laura-- I can’t thank you enough. Even though I’m not quite putting it all into practice, this keeps me on track when I falter as I do every single day!”
The truth is, we all falter every single day. We all get by with a little help from our friends, and we all need constant support (internal and external) to stay on track. Parenting is the hardest job you'll ever have. Why not give yourself the support you deserve, so you can enjoy the journey?
Dr. Laura Markham's approach is science-based and parent-tested. Her first book, Peaceful Parent, Happy Kids: How To Stop Yelling and Start Connecting, has rapidly become an underground favorite as readers post reviews on Amazon testifying to the changes in their families. In this course, Dr. Laura walks you through the lessons in the book, deepening your understanding, answering your questions, and helping you put this approach into practice with your own child.
Dr. Laura has a PhD in clinical psychology, but she dedicates her practice to helping parents transform their relationships with their children. She's counseled thousands of families, so she gives you hands-on, parent-proven strategies that are guaranteed to shift the dynamic in your house for the better. And she's also a mom, so she understands how hard it is -- and how to make it easier.
That's why Dr. Laura created this online course: to support you to change your life. Whether you're looking for an Aha! moment to transform your child, or learning to regulate your own emotions, Dr. Laura Markham's been there. Let her be your guide. It takes about 90 days to develop a habit. Why not try this course for 90 days and see what kind of change you can make?
Sorry, registration for this course is now closed.
If you would like to receive an email notification when registration opens for the next course, please email Administrator@AhaParenting.com.