Virtual and In-Person
Parenting Expert Dr. Laura Markham is in high demand
by schools, conferences and parent education groups across the world,
because parent audiences love her!
Whether your event is live or virtual, Dr. Markham will make it a success.
What Audiences & Event Planners Say About Dr. Laura Markham
Reviews From Event Planners
"An unforgettable peaceful parenting session with Dr. Laura Markham. We all wished we could take Dr. Markham home with us after her session “Parenting for Resilience in a Pandemic.” Not only was her advice delivered in a way that was moving and reassuring, it felt as if she was speaking through the camera directly to us. How did she know so many of us needed this session so badly? She shared tools to calm yourself and emotion coach your family, as well as tips on how to support your child’s learning and handle discipline. This was one of those sessions we could rewatch over and over again."
Wow Summit Organizers
I was deeply moved by her ability to personally connect with parents, instill trust, confidence and wisdom. I'm confident she impacted the parenting skills of each eager and attentive parent.
Amy Donohue, Carmel Public Library Foundation, Carmel, CA
Thank you for another amazing talk! The response from our parent community was very positive and we all left feeling more empowered to be better parents.
Janine Zeccardi, Bowery Babes
Just want you to know how thrilled we were with last night's event. Dr. Laura was absolutely wonderful. And so kind! We were so impressed with how much time she made for each and every parent there, all of whom were eager to speak with her.
CL Venues (Conference Line) hired Dr.Markham as a guest speaker for one of our major Middle Eastern clients for a family retreat held in Switzerland. We would highly recommend Dr. Markham as a speaker on parenting skills. Here are some of the quotes we received from the attendees' feed back at the retreat: "Dr Laura's Parenting seminar was exciting...The most useful thing in the whole retreat was Dr Laura's lecture...Great chance to learn from an expert speaker how to deal with children...Dr Laura was great and to the point!"
CL Venues (Conference Line)
We are so fortunate to have had Dr Laura come and speak at our school for three years now and every time, parents tell us her talks are life changing for their families. She is incredibly warm and approachable and gives relatable anecdotes as well as solid research to back up her advice. We look forward to hearing her wisdom every year and feel incredibly grateful to host her talks.
I highly recommend Dr. Laura Markham as a speaker and parent educator. She packed our middle school auditorium with 450 parents and educators eager to hear her message. Many wrote to tell us how much they'd gained from her presentation...Rarely have I seen such a large crowd of parents come out to hear a speaker--and rarely have I heard so very many positive comments...Dr. Laura made clear connections with the audience, taking time to discuss the trials and tribulations of parenting and showing parents very concrete ways that yelling/threatening doesn't work and what to do instead. She used several specific examples from the audience to illustrate how to turn around a discipline situation.Her research, wisdom and experience is a gift to anyone who deals with children.
Dr. Jim Scanlon
The response was overwhelming! A few days before the event, we had to close registration...We distributed an evaluation form at the event and the response was 100% excellent! Several parents thanked me personally for inviting Dr. Markham because they were not getting this kind of insightful and useful advice elsewhere. And more parents thanked me a week later because they were already seeing a difference at home since they started following her advice...I highly recommend Dr. Markham to any school or group that is looking for a parenting expert...Dr. Markham's talk was truly an eye-opener!
Dr. Laura was warm, engaging and genuine and really connected with our members.
Katrina Dirksen, organizer, Golden Gate Mothers Group
Upon the announcement of Dr. Laura's visit, tickets started selling immediately...we sold out of the seating we had arranged and needed to move Dr. Laura's presentation into another room in the school in order to accommodate more seating. Even on the night of the event, enough people purchased tickets at the door that we had to add still more chairs. Needless to say, Dr. Laura spoke to a full house! Throughout the presentation, Dr. Laura's audience was attentive and engaged. They felt comfortable to ask questions. Even after the presentation, many parents stayed to talk with her and ask more questions. With everyone, Dr. Laura was patient, kind and helpful. She conveyed genuine care and interest for each person who spoke to her, and she took the time to answer questions thoroughly...In the weeks following the presentation, I heard from many parents of how they have found easy changes to make at home that create stronger relationships with their kids...An opportunity to get Dr. Laura in front of parents is not to be missed!
You manage to provide individual attention, maintain group cohesiveness, and all the while, convey your knowledge with such warmth, patience and compassion. You not only create a supportive environment for participants to share their personal experiences, but you also offer sound, practical advice that they can take home and immediately implement with their families. Your parenting expertise is evident, and your graceful and calm demeanor, combined with excellent communication and inter-personal skills, models positive relationship building at its best. The change in some of the participants was palpable.
Linda Eber, LCSW
In person Dr. Laura was as engaging and accessible as her book, offering personal anecdotes and insights throughout the evening. Unlike other models which remind you of all your failings as a parent, Dr. Laura celebrates the hard work of parenting with compassion and helpful suggestions... We have invited Dr. Laura to come back to Austin next spring to offer an in-depth exploration of the first section of her book, learning to regulate yourself. I can't wait!
Thank you for another engaging and heart-warming presentation to our Parent Education Network. One of the things I appreciate so much about your work is its solid foundation in theory and research. And then, you have this wonderful way of conveying this information clearly and compassionately, using examples that every family can relate to.
Martha Edwards, Ackerman
Dr. Laura Markham recently spoke with our Lamorinda Moms Community of over 350 eager, enthusiastic parents. Her calm and compassionate demeanor resonated with parents of both young and old and her practices are truly inspirational for us all. Several parents commended us for having her speak and we would welcome her return in the future - perhaps giving her talk on Sibling Relationships too.
Your talk has inspired so many families here to be increasingly more thoughtful and/or altogether reevaluate how they interact with their children. In the days following your talk, I personally had countless interactions with other mothers during drop-off & pick-up at preschool, at the park, in the grocery store, through texts, etc. about how inspiring and empowering your work is, both for our interactions with our children and for our own healing from childhood traumas. Most of these individuals have NO idea that I instigated your appearance here; they are simply excited to share with someone in the community the treasure trove of information they have discovered in your work. Weeks later, other mothers continue to tell me...how the approaches they've tried are working. Your work is deeply appreciated by so many in our community! Truly, you are helping to make the world a better place!
Speaking as both a parent and a psychologist, this is the best workshop I have heard in years-- an incredible combination of practical, theoretical, and personal....
This was a great one for any parent, even more for professionals working with families....
This was fantastic! What a dynamic and knowledgeable speaker...
This was one of the best Oregon Psychological Association workshops I have attended....
She presented a very clean, straight forward style. Included lots of research, some very specific examples that were really helpful, while being very caring and compassionate and so attentive...
Excellent with real life examples and in addressing participant questions....
Feedback from participants at a daylong workshop
Working with Dr. Laura to make our Family Conference a success was a pleasure. She is easygoing, flexible and is a well loved speaker! Her style and practical applications appealed to the parents and left them asking for her to come back.
Patricia Vanier, Organizer, La Leche League, Canada
Reviews From Attendees
Dr. Markham's tone is so compassionate. It made me feel not judged, but like she truly hopes that parents can be successful and she's rooting for you.
I loved all of it! She is such an easy person to listen to and she got right to the point of giving us enough information and tools to understand and move forward, while not overwhelming with too many details. Great keynote!
Just listening to Dr. Markham’s voice soothed me a lot. She was knowledgeable and gave us many examples that we can use immediately.
I have been a part of many self regulation workshops. This is the first one that taught about how important the adult’s regulation is. It was so clear and should just be a part of every self-regulation teaching. Thank you, Dr. Markham.
Jo Ann Edney
Her passion and excitement for raising emotionally healthy children! Her confidence in us all that we can do this!
I just really enjoyed listening to her as she was very calm and informative. She empowered me to want to work on the tools she discussed so that I can become more mindful in stressful situations.
Dr Laura showed authentic understanding of how hard parenting can be and gave great achievable strategies for parents to try.
Dr. Markham was an engaging speaker who provided tangible tools for me to use both in my personal and professional life
This one hour keynote was crammed with good advice.
I love how Dr. Markham broke down EQ into ways to teach children about emotions, ways to connect, words to use, and the importance of coregulation.
Margaret Lynn Basarich-Dixon
Dr. Markham is a very calm speaker and I love that she shares actual concrete ways to support families and children.
I really appreciated the breakdown of real, attainable steps to take to foster emotional intelligence with the goal of resilience in children. Excellent presentation!!
Dr. Markham's lovely, engaging demeanor, and the information was so well and clearly presented. It will all be so helpful to me in my role as a social worker.
Best, best. best lecture of the weekend conference. Maybe best of my 5 years parenting!
Dr. Claudia Kraft
Please bring Dr Markham back again next year!!!
Dr. Megan Lyons
OMG - 60 minutes of GOLD. Dr. Markham is a real life version of Mary Poppins!
Dr. Amie Padilla-Thornton
First off, I could listen to Dr. Laura Markham talk all day. So calming and reassuring. I really liked what she said about loving my child for the unique person he is. How I was raised is definitely influencing my triggers with my child. She helped me realize that I need to manage and calm myself first.
Dr. Laura is amazing! I love the way she reminds us each of us that our ADHD kids are not broken and to see their skills in a positive light. I also love the way she reminds us parents that we are human too and we need tools, strategies and support in order to be the parent we want to be to our child. I am going to work on noticing my own red flags and covering my mouth when I feel myself starting To raise my voice.
Following your advice has meant our son rarely has tantrums anymore. Dr. Laura's advice really works and makes being a parent (and a child, I'd say) much better. I don't pretend I am perfect all the time, but she helps me to learn and do better by my son.
Beatrice, mother of two year old boy
Dr. Laura, I just listened to your excellent presentation at American Express. It was informative, warm, and funny. Most important for me, it was concrete enough that the tips are easy to apply. I can't thank you enough.
What's Different About Dr. Laura Markham?
Speaking Topics - Live and Virtual
Parenting for Resilience in Tough Times (Virtual)
- What our children most need from us during stressful times.
- Parenting strategies to encourage resilience in children and teens.
- Tools you can use today to build your own resilience, calm yourself and counter the overwhelm.
- How to handle discipline and emotion-coach when emotions run high.
- 60 Minute Talk with 20 minute Q and A to help parents apply these ideas to their own families.
Peaceful Parent, Happy Siblings
- Help your kids forge a close, lifelong sibling bond.
- Foster a loving family culture that encourages laughter and minimizes fighting.
- Create deep connections with each of your children, so that each truly believes you couldn't possibly love anyone else more.
- Teach your children healthy emotional self-management and conflict resolution skills.
- 60 Minute Talk with 45 minute Q and A to help parents apply these ideas to their own families.
How to Raise an Emotionally Intelligent Child
- What the research says about how children develop Emotional Intelligence.
- Why EQ is more important to your child’s success in life than IQ.
- Secrets every parent needs to know about crying and anger.
- Help your child grow a calmer nervous system, so they can manage emotions and behavior.
- 60 Minute Talk with 45 minute Q and A to help parents apply these ideas to their own families.
Peaceful Parent, Happy Kids
- Why children misbehave -- and how to help them WANT To Cooperate without yelling, threats, bribes or consequences
- What research shows about how children develop self-discipline
- The four power tools you can use to connect with children and help them with their emotions
- Why yelling and timeouts actually cause more misbehavior
- How you can create the relationship you want with your child
- 60 Minute Talk with 1 hour Q and A to help parents apply these ideas to their own families.
Mindfulness Workshop for Parents
- What is Mindfulness?
- The secrets to stop yelling, shouting and parent tantrums.
- When you get triggered: shifting your internal state in the moment
- Guided meditations to heal your parenting
- Working through emotional triggers so you don’t get triggered as often
- Self Compassion Tools
- Daylong Workshop tailored to your group includes Q and A throughout the day plus experiential mindfulness exercises.
Making the Transition to Peaceful Parenting Workshop
- The Three Tools of Peaceful Parenting
- Getting Your Partner On Board
- Shifting from punishment to repair
- Helping kids manage their emotions, so they can manage their behavior
- Helping Kids WANT To Cooperate without Shouting, Threats or Punishment
- Regulating Your Own Emotions
- Daylong Workshop tailored to your group includes Q and A throughout the day to help parents apply these ideas to their own families.
November 2, 2022
Parenthood: The Unconference
Whatever your personal and family goals Parenthood: The Unconference is the place to be.
In Person Event 2 - 4 November 2022
Etihad Arena, Yas Island, Abu Dhabi
This event will enable parents, caregivers and multi-disciplinary practitioners to better support children by promoting positive parenting attitudes and practices through local and multi-cultural experiences that:
- Position diverse parenting practices at the center of the event
- Generate parenting, educational and participatory knowledge that is culture-specific yet spans different cultures
- Encourage connecting, exchanging, learning and potentially unlearning yesterday’s parenting skills in favor of developing those of tomorrow
- Reframe how we talk about parenting by rethinking what children need to develop well rather than what parents think they should do to be effective
- Explore how children development processes can benefit from parental wellbeing, gender equality and tolerance
More than 60 global, regional and local parenting experts- including myself- will be leading the discussions at the Parenthood: The Unconference.
Live Arabic / English translation is available for all sessions
Claim your spot today!
Recent Speaking Events
- City of Irvine Child Care Coordination Training, Irvine, CA
- Institute of Child Psychology
- International Gentle Parenting Conference, Cambridge, England
- New Mexico Association for the Education of Young Children
- Oregon Psychological Association, Portland, OR (for Clinicians)
- Santa Clara Valley Council Parent Participation Preschools Unplug & Play Conference
- Smith College Center for Early Childhood Education, Northampton, MA
- Santa Clara Valley Council Parent Participation Preschools Unplug & Play Conference
- Brooklyn Early Childhood Directors Association
- University of Pennsylvania School of Social Policy and Practice
- Norfolk Children’s Hospital, Norfolk, VA
- American Express Parents
- Elevate Parents (USAA)
- Retail Industry Leaders Association Parents
- World Bank Parent Employees
- Beijing, China - Parent Talks & Parent Educator Training
- Bucharest, Romania - Parent Talks & Parent Educator Training
- Canadian Women in Medicine Conference Keynote
- Children the Heart of the Matter Conference, Vancouver, Canada
- International Gentle Parenting Conference
- Mom To Mom Arabia
- Ottawa-Carleton District School Board, Canada
- Westminster School for Parents Place, London
- Ackerman Family Institute, New York, NY
- Adoptive Parents Committee Annual Conference
- Blue School, New York, NY
- Beit Rabban School, New York, NY
- Bluebonnet Montessori School, Austin, TX
- Bowery Babes, New York, NY
- Casa Montessori, Brooklyn, NY
- Charlestown Nursery School, Boston Ma
- Cobble Hill Preschool, Brooklyn, NY
- Columbia Greenhouse Nursery School
- Common Ground Speaker Series
- Congregation Beth Israel & Pachie’s Place, San Diego, CA
- Discovery Charter School, San Jose, CA
- Golden Gate Mothers Group, San Francisco, CA
- Hawthorne Montessori School, Austin, TX
- Holistic Moms Network National Conference, Montclair, NJ
- Jersey City Moms MeetUp, Jersey City, NJ
- La Leche League of the Sunshine State, Daytona Beach, FL
- La Leche League of Canada National Conference, Ontario, Canada
- Monterey Bay Charter School
- Montessori Day School, Brooklyn, NY
- Mulberry School, San Jose, CA
- Parents Education League, Los Angeles, CA
- Partnership for Awareness, San Marino, CA
- PS 9, PS 154 and PS 321, Brooklyn, NY
- Resurrection Episcopal Day School, NY
- San Francisco Council of Parent Participation Nursery Schools, San Francisco, CA
- Speakers for Parents in Cooperative Education, Redwood City, CA
- Tampa Bay Birth Network, Tampa Bay, FL
- Unitarian Church of Staten Island, NY
- Utah Foster Care Symposium
- Village for Families and Children
- Wellesley Mothers Forum, Wellesley, MA
- West Chester School District, West Chester, PA